Inexpensive Studio Lighting?

julie28perry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to make a room in my house a studio for shooting people, objects, and ok, I'll admit it- cats. I need lighting, but I don't want to break the bank. I think I just need a basic kit w/ a couple of lights and stands. There is so much to choose from that it is overwhelming! I am ok with used equipment as long as the stuff works. Any suggestions? Thanks. I have a Canon 20D.

Yes, look at the Alien Bees and make sure if you find something else. Do some research. Read reviews at some of the other sites like Fred Miranda. There is alot of crappy cheap lights out there.

You could use Canon Speedlite flash units, mounted on light stands...the same as studio lights. There are different methods for triggering them. The better units are quite expensive though...but it does give you portability, if you decide to set up somewhere else. Check this site for some ideas.

On the other hand, Alien Bees are pretty good. I have one myself.

Oh. So those $300-100 "kits" are total crap? I am no expert now, so I really want to get some decent pics & learn what I am doing before making the plunge to to a lot of expensive equipment.

Those cheap kits are most likely continuous lights...which are not the best option for portraits or cats.

There is a recent thread around here about this exact topic.

Most reactions

Back