Informal "Portrait" Attempt - Please C&C

Honu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

This was my first purposeful attempt at using natural light. Sorry for the TV in the background, it was the only area available. Any opinions, especially on sharpness and perhaps color/white balance?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ana2.jpg

Ana9.jpg

Ana5.jpg

i think #2 is the best out of those 3.

I like the lighting best on the last one, but the focus seems sharpest on the first one. The second doesn't do a lot for me, but I think a tighter crop and her looking slightly more toward the viewer would really perk it up. Your model looks very comfortable posing for you, though, and is very pleasant to look at.

I like the simplicity of the last one - really everything about it except that it could be sharper. Obviously the lighting isn't even, but it works for me, assuming that's what you were going for. If not, try using reflectors to bounce light onto the poorly lit side of her face. Her eyes are not sharp, though, and that's problematic.

The last one appear to be a little yellower overall than the first two, but it's not distracting to me, either way. I suppose comparing her actual skin tone to your images would be the best way to determine the accuracy of the color cast.

I like the lighting best on the last one, but the focus seems sharpest on the first one. The second doesn't do a lot for me, but I think a tighter crop and her looking slightly more toward the viewer would really perk it up. Your model looks very comfortable posing for you, though, and is very pleasant to look at.

I like the simplicity of the last one - really everything about it except that it could be sharper. Obviously the lighting isn't even, but it works for me, assuming that's what you were going for. If not, try using reflectors to bounce light onto the poorly lit side of her face. Her eyes are not sharp, though, and that's problematic.

The last one appear to be a little yellower overall than the first two, but it's not distracting to me, either way. I suppose comparing her actual skin tone to your images would be the best way to determine the accuracy of the color cast.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I am disappointed in the sharpness on the last one, otherwise I like it. I was definitely not attempting for even lighting, I was hoping for a mix of light and shadow.

The model is my wife, so hopefully she is comfortable posing for me!

I appreciate the feedback!

Hi everyone,

Here's a pic from my second attempt, I'm much happier with this one. Let me know what you think, thanks!

3282645217_7fcec9f85a_b.jpg

This last one is really nice. The coloring looks much better. The first set looked a little yellow. Nice work.

I think they are all nice. Lighting angle is good, and what's most important, the person's expression is spontaneous, making the photo lively. That's about all that matters. I really don't mind the color tone.

Looks like you've lucked out with a great model! Mine is very grumpy :) I like the catchlights you are getting in the eyes!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back