Informal Portraiture

beccaf91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some photos I took of my aunt and cousins yesterday. What points did I hit? What did I miss? /braced for critique

Alanna-5983.jpg
Alanna-6014.jpg
Alanna-6088.jpg

A nice set for family memories to be sure. A few thoughts:

1. The boy on the left looks totally disinterested and like he would rather be anywhere but there; lady in the center may, or may not be looking at the camera. Bright background pulls the eye from the subjects; fill light was needed.

2. Underexposed; again, fill light would have helped a lot. Reflections on the glasses of the lady in the cener.

3. Over-exposed by a good bit, and possibly over-saturated slightly as well. Watch your crops and composition. Avoid cutting at/near joints such as his right wrist.

A couple of other thoughts.

1. Consider shooting full length in portrait mode. The more of the bright background they cover the better.
2. Kid should be sitting similar to hat boy, instead of crouching.
3. Someone should explain to hat boy how that thing is supposed to be worn. Either that or ditch the hat.

A nice set for family memories to be sure. A few thoughts:

1. The boy on the left looks totally disinterested and like he would rather be anywhere but there; lady in the center may, or may not be looking at the camera. Bright background pulls the eye from the subjects; fill light was needed.

2. Underexposed; again, fill light would have helped a lot. Reflections on the glasses of the lady in the cener.

3. Over-exposed by a good bit, and possibly over-saturated slightly as well. Watch your crops and composition. Avoid cutting at/near joints such as his right wrist.

The boy on the left was incredibly disinterested and would literally have rather been anywhere else. I did manage to get him to smile in each setting we were in. I just uploaded the first few photos that popped up.

How do I overcome reflections for people who do wear glasses?

1. Consider shooting full length in portrait mode. The more of the bright background they cover the better.
3. Someone should explain to hat boy how that thing is supposed to be worn. Either that or ditch the hat.

I know; I was trying to pose them that way but "no hat boy" was being incredibly difficult.
Way to show your age, Gryph. :D

I know; I was trying to pose them that way but "no hat boy" was being incredibly difficult.
Way to show your age, Gryph. :D
Has nothing to do with age and everything to do with common sense. Attitude, which is what he is showing, is still attitude. That actually should have been mom's job, but sometimes the photographer has to step in.

We had a son that at about the same age developed an attitude. That attitude was quickly cured on evening when we showed up at an event that was important to him looking like Walmart Rejects. He got the message real fast that appropriate attitude is relative dependent on the situation.

FYI there is nothing that makes a fashion statement like a horizontal striped shirt, plaid Bermuda shorts, over the calf black socks and sandals.

Last edited:
"hat boy" looks like a cool bro to hang out with. Chillax and what not. Probably has some good rhymes too.

How do I overcome reflections for people who do wear glasses?
I will assume (incorrectly, in this case) that the two non-glasses wearers were cooperating, and their poses were good. For the reflections; as you discover them, ask the lady to just swivel her head a little to the (your right). You can point, and give her a target for her gaze, something like your hand moved out toward the (your right). If the reflection disappears, take the shot. If that head movement doesn't quite do the trick, ask her to lower he head a bit. Keep watching for the reflection to disappear, and say; "hold it right there!", and then take the shot.

If there is a very stubborn reflection, ask her to raise the bows off her ears a bit, not enough to make the glasses appear crooked, but that is another trick.

The problem at its core is the direction of the light. If you can't get the reflection to completely go away, either move the people and yourself relative to where the light is coming from (if outdoors) or move your lights (if in the studio).

"hat boy" looks like a cool bro to hang out with. Chillax and what not. Probably has some good rhymes too.
Again, slowly, in English, please.
The Proper English Translation = "You Want Fries With That?"
Haven't you heard grandpa? Fast food workers will all be robots. The people required to program them have skills you can't dream of.
..............................................................................................................................................................
Laughing at pointing.gif

Again, slowly, in English, please.
The Proper English Translation = "You Want Fries With That?"
Haven't you heard grandpa? Fast food workers will all be robots. The people required to program them have skills you can't dream of.
..............................................................................................................................................................View attachment 136110
51663322.jpg

Most reactions

Back