information needed -old polaroid camera (6 pics)

John_05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i was just given this camera a few days ago, and know pretty much nothing about it. all i was told is that it is very old, but it looks to be in pretty good shape other then being a bit dusty from sitting for approx 30+ years.

is there anyone here that can tell me anything at all about it? i wouldnt mind getting some film for it and trying it out to see if it works. it opens and closes easily, and the "zoom" works too. i would guess that the flash attachment works too, but i dont know how i could test it. none of the bulbs look used either, so im pretty sure they would all work too.
everything i got with it is in pic #2, except for the case of course.

first, is there anywhere i can get film for it, and approximitely how much would it cost?
second, is there any way to test it to be sure it works before i spend any money on fim for it?
third, does anyone know where i could possibly find a manual, or a link to a manual for it?
fourth, any other information about this camera would be very helpful, and very appreciated. thanks!

d37dc6d8.jpg

85fc818f.jpg

a1080a1d.jpg

fb3b2b6b.jpg

88f17f1a.jpg

d0588c54.jpg

awwww.....look at it! (sniffle) How do you argue with some of these beautiful old P-cams?? :love:

Get him cleaned up and shiny, pop any of the above-mentioned film in there, and have a ball. (I'd personally not bother much with those old flashbulbs, they are pretty harsh - maybe use them outdoors on a bright day for fill-in, but not inside.)

If you use the 669 film, you'll be able to do emulsion lifts later with some of your prints (if you're so inclined). :mrgreen:

Okay - /exit geek. :lol:

thanks for the help everyone. i am borrowing a small air compressor from my brother today so i can try to clean the camera up a little. its adjustable and wont make a lot of noise in my apartment, so i think it will work good. i have a small vaccum cleaner i will also use so im not blowing dust anywhere i cant get to without taking it apart. after i get it cleaned up i will probably take a couple more pics of it. it looks alot cleaner in the pics i posted then it actually is.

i checked the prices for film and initially thought they were a little expensive until i compared it to 35mm film and processing. the 35mm ive been buying costs between $2 and $4 a roll plus the $8 for processing, and the polaroid film works out to roughly $11 if i buy a 5 pack so thats not too bad. i will probably buy some film in the next couple of weeks and give the camera a try.

i just have another question (maybe more then 1 :lmao: )
does this camera require batteries and if so, what kind? ive never owned a polaroid before, so i really dont know.
ok, heres the "more then one question"..... is there any way at all to test the camera to be sure it works before i buy film for it? i really cant afford to spend the $60 or so for film on a camera that may or may not work.

ok, so i do have more then just one question. ill blame it on a lack of coffee because i was up late and slept in and havent finished my first pot yet......
Terri, it seems you know alot about these cameras, so i guess this question is for you. you said the flash bulbs are harsh, and if i remember anything about those flash bulbs it would be that after having my picture taken with cameras using them, all i saw for about an hour afterwards was black and white and purdy spots.:confused:
does the flash have to be physically connected to the camera to work? i know it would have to be plugged in, but could i hold it and aim it up or towards something reflective to lessen the harshness for indoor pictures? also, does the flash require any type of battery? im sorry for having to ask so many questions, but without a manual or prior knowledge of the camera, i have no way of knowing.

thanks again everyone for all your help. if the camera didnt have a degree of sentimental value to it, i probably wouldnt even bother with it. i got the camera from my step father after he passed away 2 weeks ago. i hadnt seen him in well over 15 years, and he had no way of knowing i have any interest in photography so something tells me that something told him to leave the camera to me and not to his biological son. i figure the best thing i can do to thank him for thinking of me after all this time is to do what i can to get at least a little use from it. even if i get one picture and it stops working, that one picture would mean a lot to me.

one other question for Terri before i stop typing another short book, whats an emulsion lift? :lmao:
you really dont have to answer. it would probably take to long to explain in simple enough terms for me to comprehend due to my lack of knowledge, and would also probably involve some sort of chemicals my wife wouldnt allow me to have in the first place. she knows me too well and still remembers the last time i got involved with some chemicals and a friend who was equally ignorant of their safe and proper use. :mrgreen:

again, thanks to everyone for the help. i appreciate it.:hail:

ha ha - I know just enough to be dangerous, John. So take that under advisement. :mrgreen:

That said, I've NOT ever used this camera model, so your best move would be to see if you can download or purchase the camera's manual online. I'm sure it's out there - a million of these things were produced, and film is still made that fits them. That will answer most of the technical questions. I've used an SX-70 Land camera, and the battery was contained in the film pack for that model. It could be a similar design - maybe not. That's Time Zero film and it's going to be off the market shortly. :thumbdown:

I absolutely agree you should give the camera a try, and I think it's wonderful how you inherited it. :)

Emulsion lifts are fun - generally, any Polaroid film that ends with a "9" boasts the emulsion formula that allows this technique. You may well have seen one without really knowing what it was you were looking at. Polaroid offers a small tutorial here and they are pretty easy to learn. No chemicals involved, just a few supplies from art supply stores. ;) You can also do image transfers with this same film type, and find info at the Polaroid site - though I don't agree with everything they have outlined. ;)

Emulsion lift from Polaroid film:

584-WalkingLiberty19451.jpg
You basically drop your developed print in hot water, encourage the emulsion to float off, then transfer it to a new receptor base such as watercolor paper, and start to play! I shot this image of a 1945 "Walking Liberty" from my husband's coin collection.

And another:

584-faces.jpg
I shot this image of poolside sculptures through a waterfall for a rippled effect, then tore around the edges of the emulsion.

It's embarrasing to be such a geek, but that's the process. :mrgreen:

thanks again for the help and info Terri. i will have to see if i can find the manual for the camera before i try anything with it, or buy film for it.

as for the emulsion lift, it looks like a very interesting thing to try. seeing as it involves no chemicals, im sure my wife wont mind me giving it a try if the camera works. if the camera does work, and i get some fairly decent pics with it, i will have to give it a try and of course post any results here.

again, thanks for the help, info and link for the tutorial. as soon as i can test the camera and hopefully get a pic or 2, i will post them here. :mrgreen:

Awesome, please do! Good luck with the little beauty.

And should you really develop an interest in learning the emulsion lift/image transfer techniques, come play with the rest of us P-freaks in the Alternative Forum. We have a lot of talented folks here at TPF! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back