Innovative light painting technique

bradleyheathhays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I'm new and just getting back into photography to help promote the tables I build. I found another furniture maker on the net who explains a light painting technique where he uses a black background, 10 sec shutter speed and a flashlight to make professional looking photographs on a tight budget. I just bought a new T7 with the usual 18-55 kit lens and I plan on trying to duplicate his technique the best I can. But before I put a lot of effort into it I thought I'd run it past the knowledgeable people here for some advice and direction. The video will explain it better than I can. I edited it so it pretty much gets explained in the first minute of the video...

Any advice on how I can improve on his technique?

Space Face

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Interesting.

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've used light painting on many occasions in conjunction with image stacking. Mostly a lot of trial and error as in here Secrets and Christmas Delivery Its not all that difficult.

Geenphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geen.co
Photos OK to edit
I did some light painting back when I started back in photography. Old buildings and cars were my favorite subjects.

For light painting you need a relatively dark place to shoot, a good light source (I used a Maglight), and I set my camera on manual mode on a tripod with a remote shutter release. To add interest, add color filters to your light source such as blue or red. I had some colored lenses from a swimming pool light that worked well.

I wish I still had those images but I lost them in a HDD crash. That is why I tell everyone to back up.

Not true light painting but an example of how a color filter may affect the outcome.
Dallas - geenfoto

Most reactions