Input on buying new camera

Ek65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, Iv been on this website quite a bit the last few months but I decided to make an account when I found myself with a bit of a decision to make.

So a year ago I purchased my first DSLR and that was a Nikon D3200. Iv been shooting a lot in the last year or so and recently decided I wanted to step it up a bit. I came into some money and I feel like with the amount I shoot Its a great investment to upgrade now. Naturally I was thinking maybe a D5300 but felt like going with the D7xxx line would be better, So that's the way I was leaning. Until a good friend of mine told me that if I was looking for a new camera he would sell me his D800 body brand new ( shutter count under 100, I know this for a fact ) for 1200 and he might go a bit lower. Now that's the jam I am in. Do I do the biggest upgrade ever and have a camera I feel would last me a really long time, but still have to buy lenses or go with a significantly lower unit that I can already use my lenses with.

Thanks for your time in advance and any input you have!

No doubt the d800 is fab and the pricesounds good. Do you photograph enough to justify the purchase? Will you/can you afford to buy lense that make the d800 worthwhile.

What do you normally tke shots of?, what lenses do you have for the d3200?, Finally, where does the d3200 let you down?

I take my camera with me almost everywhere I go, its just a habit iv got myself into because I have a fear of a really great shot and not having it. I travel and just roam my city a lot. So I feel I defiantly justify it because I feel I wont get another chance to get a camera of that quality for that price in the next few years or more if I let it pass by. I'm now looking into getting that would make it worth while. The lenses I have for my D3200 are the standard 18-55, 55-200mm and I also have a 35mm prime. I shoot with the 35mm the most lately, been having a lot of fun with that one. As far as what I take pictures of its a bit of everything to be honest. I feel the D3200 has let me down with the Af lately. I feel like I find myself having to delete more than I should because it wasn't quite in focus in time.

Thanks a lot for your quick response

Well if you can afford the money great, it is a great camera. If you buy a 50mm f1.8g for small enough money it will act similar on your d800 to the 35mm on your d3200

Yeah that was the plan if I went with it.

I just feel like I have 3 scenarios:

1: get a D5300 and save the 800 or so and add to that and get a full frame in a few years

2: try and find a D7100 or D7200 with lenses for around $1300ish

3: get the D800 body for $1200 and have to buy a 50mm and just use that for a bit and add more lenses down the road

why I am hesitating is because the D800 is a 2012 model, and I know with technology it ages somewhat quick so I am thinking do I just save more money then spend $2000 in a few years.

what would you do in this situation?

thanks agian

If I were you, I would buy the cheaper body and invest the money in the glass.

D5300 is 2013 and the D800 is 2012, not a big difference. I would say the deal on the D800 seems decent. Can your friend throw in a lens, if not then just pick up a 50mm for now. You can carry the D800 everywhere with you everyday (you will notice it feeling heavier and bigger than the D3200, but it's a good feeling). Even if you went with the D7200 you would soon start to feel limited by your lenses (part of the AF is the camera and part has to do with the lens). The D800 should last you long enough that you will know the camera very well.

No reason to go from the D3200 to the D5200 to the D7200 to the D610 to the D750 and then finally get that D800.

Also, you can use your old DX lenses on the D800, just let the camera go automatically to crop mode, that can get you through until you can buy some FX (regular) lenses. I think there is a time when the saying "buy glass first" is good, but this is not one of those times.

Hope your friend throws in a battery or two with charger and a CF card so you stay in your budget.

Well if you can afford the money great, it is a great camera. If you buy a 50mm f1.8g for small enough money it will act similar on your d800 to the 35mm on your d3200
o.png
good information for me

Alright thanks a lot for the input!

I just wanted to make sure spending that money on something from 2012 was still a decent idea.

Your telling me I could use my Dx lens on that body, what would it automatically going to crop mode do exactly?

Would I lose out on the advantage of the full frame sensor?

And honestly its $1200 and its still in the box brand new with literally everything. He took it out the box once, took under 100 shots in a day and wrapped it back up and has not touched it since.

thanks again

Your telling me I could use my Dx lens on that body, what would it automatically going to crop mode do exactly?

Would I lose out on the advantage of the full frame sensor?

In Crop mode it is using the part of the sensor that matches the size of the sensor on your D3200. Sure you don't get to use all those 36mp, it goes down to just under 16mp. What you do is you just don't tell anyone :1247:

And I'm sure you will pick up a 50mm and that is a FF lens.

The D800 is a fantastic camera, and it won’t become worse anytime soon just because newer cameras have been released. Its sensor is still top-notch, even in today’s standards.

The only “problem” with it is that it’s so good, that putting mediocre lenses on it should be a crime! Here is a nice run-down of recommended lenses by Thom Hogan: Thom’s Recommended Lenses for FX Users | byThom | Thom Hogan
Look for the “36mp Worthy Lenses” and if your standards aren’t so high, or if you can’t afford any of them for the start, also consider the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, which he recommends for cameras with 24MP sensors.
If budget is really tight, don’t hesitate and get the 50mm f/1.8, even though he only recommends it for the 16MP cameras. Just know that if you notice any softness at the pixel level in your images, it may not necessarily be your technique.

BTW, if you didn’t have this great opportunity to buy a D800 right now for such a low price, I would just say stick with what you have until you find something there that is holding you back. “Stepping up” doesn’t (well, shouldn’t) be tied to your gear—you can step-up your photography big-time with the gear you already have.

Thanks a lot everyone for your input! I am very happy with your responses, this is a very helpful community on here :) . I think I am going to purchase it. I think I forgot to mention that its $1200 Canadian dollars, so about $900 U.S, I think this is a deal I cannot pass up on. As for the lens issue, I think I am going to just shoot with the Nikon Af-S 50mm 1.8G or trade it in for a 50mm 1.4G, I don't believe I have to change the full frame to crop mode on these lenses if I am correct. Thanks a lot everybody, talk to you soon!

Hello, Iv been on this website quite a bit the last few months but I decided to make an account when I found myself with a bit of a decision to make.

So a year ago I purchased my first DSLR and that was a Nikon D3200. Iv been shooting a lot in the last year or so and recently decided I wanted to step it up a bit. I came into some money and I feel like with the amount I shoot Its a great investment to upgrade now. Naturally I was thinking maybe a D5300 but felt like going with the D7xxx line would be better, So that's the way I was leaning. Until a good friend of mine told me that if I was looking for a new camera he would sell me his D800 body brand new ( shutter count under 100, I know this for a fact ) for 1200 and he might go a bit lower. Now that's the jam I am in. Do I do the biggest upgrade ever and have a camera I feel would last me a really long time, but still have to buy lenses or go with a significantly lower unit that I can already use my lenses with.

Thanks for your time in advance and any input you have!
The only problem with that is the lens. You don't really have the glass to support a full frame system.

-Mobile Matt

Most reactions

Back