Inside Christmas Light Photoshoot Little to no light

The website has some OK B&W photos and quite a few posed snapshots but no indication of professional work. But everybody has to start somewhere and there are some good ideas shown.

*Update* Well, Didn't turn out exactly how I had pictured in my head. But it turned out good. Flash was too much honestly. but i used my Mono Pod. Perfection.

*Update* Well, Didn't turn out exactly how I had pictured in my head. But it turned out good. Flash was too much honestly. but i used my Mono Pod. Perfection.

You can de-power the flash using flash-exposure-compensation (FEC). These work like exposure "stops". E.g. dialing the FEC down by -1 cuts the power output by half. Dialing down to -2 cuts the power output by half again (or 1/4), etc.

When using flash as "fill" lighting, you'd frequently just de-power the flash so that it's enough light to fill in the darkest shadows, but not so much as to become the primary source of light.

Many venues now don't allow professional photography/photo shoots without a fee or rental of the space, or may restrict it (sounds like there are some guidelines for this place). The best thing from now on I think would be to check out a place first so you don't risk getting stopped or asked to leave in the middle of a shoot with a client.

I would suggest that a photographer know how to do whatever is being requested before accepting a job or getting paid for it.

First and foremost, what kind of photoshoot? Christmas card? Glamour? Regardless, I can't imagine doing this sort of thing without lights, and my bodies shoot clean at ISO 3200! I think if you give us a better idea of what you mean by "photoshoot" it will help us help you.

It sounds like you are using a modern full frame and hes using a crop body.

OP - why do you not want to go below F5.6? You can get a ton more light if you stop down to 1.8 plus you get great bokeh. You might be pushing your cameras limits by using the T3i at iso 400 or 800, F1.8 and a shutter around 1/160th, but I would imagine the color might be hard to correct, plus with all the lights being on the ceiling the lighting on the face may not be the most flattering. Perhaps a reflector but the hotel may not like that.

You could rent a 6D or 5DmIII to get the higher iso performance to get the shots you need, plus maybe a F1.2 or F1.4 lens. Or maybe use a flash until they ask you not to but that may limit your ability to go back in the future.

Most reactions

Back