Inside the Clock

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got bored yesterday, it was cloudy outside so I decided to try my hand at some B&W. I'm not very familiar with it but I gave it my best shot with what I know from color photography. This pic is of the side view of a grandfather clock with side windows to view the inner workings.
018-clock-gears-(2)-f.jpg

Were you just passing the time?

OK, I'll get my coat:(

Well, B+W isn't really my field, tho I do dabble with the odd conversion so my crit is probably not worth much.

I'd add a wee bit more contrast and I'd personally concentrate on the gears. I dunno how easily accessed they are without having to include part of the casing or frame but the Macro photographer and engineering background in me would want to get the mechanics in fine detail.

You have good shadows, but need some bright shiny bits in there. Add some light, at a low angle to pop some highlights out.

Well, B+W isn't really my field, tho I do dabble with the odd conversion so my crit is probably not worth much.

I'd add a wee bit more contrast and I'd personally concentrate on the gears. I dunno how easily accessed they are without having to include part of the casing or frame but the Macro photographer and engineering background in me would want to get the mechanics in fine detail.

I was actually focused on the big gear and cable but apparently that wasn't enough. It must be the lighting. I'm going to add some light to highlight it a bit. I liked how the shadows were because I could still see some detail in them but sometimes a little heavy on the shadows can create a nice effect. Also, that's the only view to the gears, I wish it weren't, it's rather difficult to work with. I'll give it a go again tonight and compare the two.

You have good shadows, but need some bright shiny bits in there. Add some light, at a low angle to pop some highlights out.

Thanks and I think you're right. Before I took the pic I was considering using a combination of colored lights on different key spots but then I decided to just make it B&W instead of a color pic and dropped the idea but I shouldn't have, it still would've helped with B&W.

I like where you are going with this. I think it could use a bit more contrast also. It's very busy in there and my eyes had a hard time latching onto something. I inadvertently enlarged it showing mostly the right side with the gear and cable. I thought that was interesting. I guess I'm suggesting thinking about focusing tighter one are of it if you can. I look forward to seeing more wherever you decide to go with this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back