Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to get insurance for our business. I called our current insurer for our home and cars and got a quote for $70/month. That was for $1 million liability, $25,000 for equiptment and supplies and $10,000 for computer and software. However, they don't cover the camera if it is dropped or damaged by a customer. They only cover for theft, acts of God, etc. I know there are some insurers that specialize in photography insurance, anyone here use one or have one the recommend? I would like to do some price comparisons.

I did, but I was hoping for someone who has personal experience with a company. It's always nice to get a referral because you know that the referrer is happy with the service.

Cant help yah, being 16 is a bain, but maybe if your looking for staff and you live near? lol

Umm...if you live in the UK, go up to jessops, and ask who they use...you may even be able to get insurance of the, jessops is ownage for cameras lol.

P.s. Im a hard worker, im nice, and i love cameras :D

If only you were a bit closer :) Actually we did hire an assistant to help with weddings. She's got a love for photography and a good eye, which is all you really need! I'll ask around at our next NHPPA meeting.

Whats the deductable on these insurrances? : 0)

I need to think about insurance - both personal AND photographic. What's the best way to get personal health insurance? I REALLY need to figure that out.

if you shoot professionally or for profit then equipement insurance could be a good thing because it covers anything that could happen to the camera during use. I have heard of photographers without insurance being refused a claim because they were considered a "professional" using the camera in a business and not just a novice and some insurance companies use that as a reason not to pay a claim because when its used as a tool in a business the risk is higher for theft and damage.

So equipment insurance if you carry your equipement around as a "photographer" might be a good idea. But i do believe its fairly expensive compared to just having it covered under a home owners policy.

I would not recommend have your photography equipment covered under your home owners policy, atleast if there is significant value in your gear. I have known people that followed the home owners route and when they made a claim on the photography gear their home ownsers insurance was canceled. Insurance premiums for a high risk policy is not something I would look forward to.

The valuable articles policy I have covers many items that my home ownsers does not. Items like jewelry, musical instruments, computers and such.

The deductable on mine was $100. The reason we don't want to go with it is that it didn't cover breakage of the camera. I'm no worried that I would do it (though accidents to happen!) but more that I am at a shoot and somebody gets near my equiptment and breaks it. We actually got a direct marketing offer for insurance a few days ago so I will check out that company.

I agree with everyone else, make sure that your camera is covered - if you're shooting for $$ it's not covered under homeowner insurance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back