Insurance for your gear...

smyth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this topic has been brought up in many threads before, but I really want to know a bit.

First off, I don't have hardly any photography equipment that is of any worth - a P&S Nikon, and a 20 year old Yashica SLR, but I just got a brand spankin new laptop that I got for graduation, and was thinking about insuring it, if that is even possible? It's purchase value is ~$1200... so I don't want to have it stolen and be left with no laptop for university.

If any of you could post some info about your insurance on your gear, it would be awesome, just so I could get a feel for what I would be paying.

i have a special rider on my household insurance. It pays for replacement value or repairs.

can't image not having insurance.

First off, I don't have hardly any photography equipment that is of any worth ...

Insurance protects you from loss. If you have little at stake, you have little need for insurance. As for your laptop, you might consider "self-insured." In other words, keep the premiums and purchase a replacement yourself in the event of loss. If you damage or lose you laptop, an insurance company will not give you a new $1200 computer. They will compensate you the amount of a similar, used computer.

Just something to think about.

Pete

You say you got it for graduation ... is this high school graduation? If so, you should have your parents/guardian ask their insurance agent about if the laptop is covered anyway under their normal home insurance, or ask if you can get a rider that will cover it. That's what my brother did.

For me, I have a rider on my renter's insurance for my photography stuff. I made up a document that has the item description, serial number (if applicable), and current replacement cost.

In an effort to save money, when I give them an updated list this summer I'm taking off the small stuff and will self-insure. For example, I'm not including the $15 step-down rings anymore.

I do the same thing for my coin collection (my other, more expensive hobby). I have a list made up anyway to keep track of my coins, and once a year (though I probably should do it more often, given the rate I've been buying coins lately) I print it off and give it to my insurance agent.

Most reactions

Back