Interesting Reading...

They were the first 3 shots here in colour:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4459&highlight=muriwai

The second one liked looked pretty heinous in colour, but she liked it anyway. I am going. She told me she preferred colour but the pics were a gift and so she choose the colour option.

I am pretty stoked, I had them printed at a digilab in town and I am picking them up this afternoon. I am crossing my fingers that they turn out ok, but I am really fussy about that (i told the lab that too).

We'll see :)

Got a job interview this afternoon too! busy busy busy!!!

Hi Manda!
Please re-read my statement and you'll find that I did not blame education for the worlds wrongs, only that it bears some responsibility and you'll also note my comment that the real teachers are grossly underpaid.
One other point is your assertion that discipline was administered through violence back then, personally I don't remember being terrified but I do remember respecting the teachers as people who knew much more than I.
We certainly don't terrify the kids nowadays, we just drug them out of their minds!

Hi Osmer!
Seems we're in agreement that the issues are with the bureaucracy for withholding support for the teachers, setting B.S. curricula, pushing a lefty agenda and generally absorbing money better spent elsewhere.

Hi Shark!
Can't agree more with you, it all comes back to the bureaucracy and their social engineering at the kids expense.
How big a deal would it have been for them to back you up?
If it came to a court case a little publicity would have made the school district look like heroes for supporting you and public opinion, even nowadays, would be with a teacher trying to do a good job.

Hi Mark!
Same thing with your comments, the bureaucracy has a lot to answer for.
One other scary point you make is that one of the characters still graduated with honors, more "dumbing down" of tests to fit a social agenda?
This backs up one of my personal thoughts that qualifications are being steadily devalued so that no one bears the hardship of failing.

Hi Terri!
Congratulations on being a real parent!
I noted that you work as well as your husband, do you think that if you just had the job of running the house your kid would be the way he is?

Sorry to belabor the point but all the issues everyone has mentioned still boil back to there being too many people and that the pseudo-intellectuals are minding the store.

Finally...Congratulations on the sale Mark! :cheers:

i hadn't seen those before. Mark, you really are incredibly talented. i consider myself lucky just to be a correspondant of yours. to me, you're like a modern day young ansel adams. but not. it's weird, because your images have a flavor all their own...
i'll sit here and rave about your images as long as you post them here and as long as i'm welcome to come here and experience them. as long as that lasts, i'll consider myself lucky.
thank you for sharing, once again. and that lady got a damn good bargain.
make her descendants wealthy and sign your photos before you give them to her.

mr. sid- never before has your avatar been more appropos. :headbang:
(bet you hate that emoticon, don't you? :lol: )
i thouroughly enjoyed this discourse, sir. i look forward to more :cheers:

Osmer_Toby said:
mr. sid- never before has your avatar been more appropos. :headbang:
(bet you hate that emoticon, don't you? :lol: )
i thouroughly enjoyed this discourse, sir. i look forward to more :cheers:

Why thank you sir!
That emoticon doesn't bother me in the slightest in fact it amuses me because it reminds me of a "Teddy Boy" flipping someone the bird (the Brits use two fingers). The Teds used to wear their hair like that in the 50's when I was a teenager.
Thank you too for the discourse, it's a shame you were not present when I took classes in citizenship prior to becoming an American citizen.
The reasons for the civil war and particularly the war of 1812 led to much "discussion" between myself and the instructor who's historical knowledge was biased and incomplete to say the least.
I'll leave you with that mental picture and thanks again!

Osmer_Toby said:
i hadn't seen those before. Mark, you really are incredibly talented. i consider myself lucky just to be a correspondant of yours. to me, you're like a modern day young ansel adams. but not. it's weird, because your images have a flavor all their own...
i'll sit here and rave about your images as long as you post them here and as long as i'm welcome to come here and experience them. as long as that lasts, i'll consider myself lucky.
thank you for sharing, once again. and that lady got a damn good bargain.
make her descendants wealthy and sign your photos before you give them to her.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

actually i was in such a rush to get the images to her, i forgot to sign them! Anyways, thanks for the complements! If any of you are ever in kiwiland, i'll shout ya a brew!
:cheers:

And Mr. Sid, its good getting your views on the world :) Who the hell won the war of 1812 anyway :scratch: i'll have to look that one up.

Hi Terri!
Congratulations on being a real parent!
I noted that you work as well as your husband, do you think that if you just had the job of running the house your kid would be the way he is?

Hi back, Sid! I just noticed this.

By being "the way he is", I assume you mean, a lazy teenager? Because I never meant to imply he is anything BUT that...and one who hates school. Hardly makes him a standout. He's not stealing cars or selling dope. But to answer, why no, I don't see that having me standing over him nagging more hours of the day than I already do would make much difference. He's an exact replica of his uncle, my brother, who was an even bigger lazy slob than my kid is. I remember his room while we were growing up...it was astoundingly messy. Clothes, junk strewn everywhere. He finally grew up, at around 30 years of age. He's married now and a house-husband, and his fastidious ways are pretty amusing, when I think back to the way he was. So, I'm not particularly worried.

And if I "just had the job of running the household" my kid would probably be WORSE off, because I'd be one bored, neurotic mess, if that's all there was for me to do. I'm not cut out for that. But I manage to come across as a "real parent", regardless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back