ISO800, f/3.5, 1/800

20120116011.jpg

ISO400, f/5.6, 1/1000

20120116023.jpg

ISO400, f/5.6, 1/200

One More CUTE one:
20120116030.jpg

ISO400, f/4.0, 1/60

I was walking upstairs and saw my cat just kinda chillin in the light from the window, so i went and quickly grabbed my camera and snapped a couple shots :) I had a little patience to be able to catch the one of her yawning (#2), but it was totally worth it. If you look at it up close, you can see some saliva on the side of her mouth. I thought it was pretty funny!!!

These were my first ever shots with RAW, so it was a little different for me. Let me know what you think of the shots in general!!!

Last edited:
Jeff Canes said:
Cute shots, like #4 a lot

Thanks a bunch! :)

I like it too! I was trying to bring out the really beautiful orange red color in her fur in all of em :)

dxqcanada said:
#1 and #2 need a cropping.

Hmmm. I do see it in #1. She didn't really wanna stay in one good place to shoot from haha. Had to wing it.
But I did crop #2, I just tried to leave the shadow in there.. I thought it kinda made her pop out

Jacob.. do you really want C&C on these?

cgipson1 said:

Lol oh geez. Only one way to know ;P

cgipson1 said:

Lol oh geez. Only one way to know ;P

hahahah! Yea... focus is pretty good.. and you captured your cat's personality pretty well.. some of those shots are funny. Unfortunately because of the really bright areas in the photo (sun) which are blown (burned out)... the rest of the photos are badly underexposed. If you had used flash.. this would not have been near as bad. I did download and correct one of them.. just to show you the difference when you bring the exposure up some. Part of the difference may be that you don't have your monitor calibrated. Practice trying to avoid shots where there is BRIGHT light on a part of the subject like this.. or frame it to miss the bright part. Or use flash (or reflector) to try to balance the light levels better.

20120116030.jpg

You can see that in bringing up your cats face to a reasonable exposure, it really BLEW the highlights. You might can save some of these with a crop to get rid of the blown areas on the original shots.. and bring the exposures up a good bit, and sharpen them a touch. hope that helps!

I really think #1 is the best of the bunch...fun...the cat looks 3-legged, but the shadow shows otherwise!

I really think #1 is the best of the bunch...fun...the cat looks 3-legged, but the shadow shows otherwise!

Good point... that is funny!

1 Is actually rather interesting, especially since its a looking down at you shot. Generally the advice for animals (and many subjects) is to present a view that the average person does not always see; with animals this is often the eye level or looking up to angles, since we are more used to looking down upon animals.

For some reason the mixture of lighting, angle and personality of the cat (as well as the eyes looking up) has combined to give a shot that actually holds interest even though its a common viewing angle. I'd also say the cat looks a little lion like, a little more feral.

The legs is a bit of a shame with one "missing" from the main shot, but the shadow helps fill in that missing detail. I would, however, crop of a fair bit from the right side, the wall and door frame detract from the shot significantly.

cgipson1 said:
because of the really bright areas in the photo (sun) which are blown (burned out)... the rest of the photos are badly underexposed. If you had used flash.. this would not have been near as bad. I did download and correct one of them.. just to show you the difference when you bring the exposure up some. Part of the difference may be that you don't have your monitor calibrated.

You can see that in bringing up your cats face to a reasonable exposure, it really BLEW the highlights.

Yes, I was experimenting with RAW today, and it was slightly easier to correct than JPEG.. But that doesn't work as an excuse for my lousy exposure. Haha. I kinda had to run back and forth that whole time because my cat would just walk right up to my legs and I tried to take em quickly.... If there was one that I think is the best, it would be #2. Except for that fantastic strip of shadow from the darn window D:

I tried to fix the underexposure too, but it was tough without blowing the highlights even more

Thanks for the tips. Definately helps a lot, I really appreciate it :)

Derrel said:

Haha, yeah thanks for the comment!

Most reactions

Back