What's new

Into the darkness

JPmkV

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 26, 2011
Messages
192
Reaction score
14
Location
Brigantine NJ
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a shot of my car yesterday in a tunnel in Philadelphia. I love the way it came out! What are your thoughts?

8439622712_b1a48aa25b_b.jpg
 
I don't really like the car in silhouette but I do like the tunnel. Maybe just me.
 
I don't really like the car in silhouette but I do like the tunnel. Maybe just me.

Really? Probably my favorite shot of my car to date. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose!

The tunnel was pretty awesome. Not only were there icicles forming on the inside, but also stalactites!
 
What car is it? That's usually the first thing I look for, but it being in shadow, it's hard to tell. I don't like this shot on its own, but as part of a triptych or something similar it would work better. The composition is nice, it's just not about the car.
 
Not bad. Somehow it's interesting having the car where it is, although I'd lose the bit of selective color, which just looks odd. The detail and depth of field appear to be good, which is important in a shot like this.

Where exactly was this taken?
 
What car is it? That's usually the first thing I look for, but it being in shadow, it's hard to tell. I don't like this shot on its own, but as part of a triptych or something similar it would work better. The composition is nice, it's just not about the car.

The car is a mk5 Volkswagen gti. My overall goal with the picture was to capture the car passing from light to dark, but more than that I liked the over composition of the shot. The car was meant to be ambiguous.
 
Not bad. Somehow it's interesting having the car where it is, although I'd lose the bit of selective color, which just looks odd. The detail and depth of field appear to be good, which is important in a shot like this.

Where exactly was this taken?

Thank you! I hardly ever use selective coloring, and I actually rather dislike the use of it. However, I felt like it somehow worked with this shot.

This shot was taken on 11th street, in between Vine and Spring Garden.
 
It does work -- because I didn't notice it until you meantioned it, which is quite different from the 'aaagh, my eyes, they're ruined!!!' feeling I normally get from selective colour.

I think it's pretty good, BUT it needs some light - just a little - on the car I think - camera flash would be too much of a flood-light, but I keep imagining what it would look like if you'd have taken a hand torch with you and put a little focused light right on the grill and badge, just to give a hint of detail. It's good to leave a little to the imagination, but there's not quite enough to go on in this, if you see what I mean.
 
Not bad. Somehow it's interesting having the car where it is, although I'd lose the bit of selective color, which just looks odd. The detail and depth of field appear to be good, which is important in a shot like this.

Where exactly was this taken?

Thank you! I hardly ever use selective coloring, and I actually rather dislike the use of it. However, I felt like it somehow worked with this shot.

This shot was taken on 11th street, in between Vine and Spring Garden.

Thanks! I haven't explored that exact area yet and it looks interesting. I've been down Spring Garden in that area, but not between SG and Vine except down closer to the river.
 
It does work -- because I didn't notice it until you meantioned it, which is quite different from the 'aaagh, my eyes, they're ruined!!!' feeling I normally get from selective colour.

I think it's pretty good, BUT it needs some light - just a little - on the car I think - camera flash would be too much of a flood-light, but I keep imagining what it would look like if you'd have taken a hand torch with you and put a little focused light right on the grill and badge, just to give a hint of detail. It's good to leave a little to the imagination, but there's not quite enough to go on in this, if you see what I mean.

I think you're absolutely right. I'd like to try and recreate this shot and mess around with some external/artificial lighting. Thanks for your input!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom