Intrigue - Fort Malden - Commissary

QMaze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
commissary1.jpg

The exposure is on point. Good camera work.

Personally I am not seeing the intrigue here. Maybe if the door was partly open. Maybe a shot with some directional light. Maybe wide. Tell us your thoughts and let us know if you can revisit this shot.

Thank you for your comment, craig. It was a super bright day so was not sure how the exposure looked. I am going to revisit on an overcast day to capture some better detail as the sunlight washed the brick down. I need a SLR, using a point and shoot Kodak 4800C - full manual.

Yeah intrigue was probably not a good choice of words to describe what I was feeling at that time. It is such an interesting part of history and was trying to figure out who was behind the door, or housed inside as the War of 1812 was in full force. Location was Fort Malden, outside of Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Good idea with the door open a bit, I will ask the person in charge of the building to open the door slightly next time.

That kind of attitude will surface a stronger shot!!! Personally I always re visit a fave location. For me; the second time around provides personal views that were not considered the first time. Kind of like building a relationship with the subject. On the other hand I do have a couple of "approach" shots that turned out A1.

Oooohhhh Duotone. MMmmmmm My favourite.
I'm on a duotone spree the past few weeks.

I like the door and definately thing the conversion works well!

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate all comments as I try to learn photography.

Still trying to figure out how different camera settings affect the image but more so working on composition.

;)

This was another shot of the same building. This photo was cropped and converted to greyscale but I much prefered the sepia in my first photo.

As I am learning I normally take quite a few shots then pick my favorite and just crop it to get a more interesting view, I hope. When I revisit I have noticed so much character in the pictures that I would like to focus more on the brickwork. I have a big learning curve ahead.

commissary2.jpg

Ooooh I like this second one a lot more.

Instead of simply converting to Greyscale... you should have a go at using the Channel Mixer just make sure you set the monochrome box to checked. Then you can adjust the levels.

I think this sort of shot looks great in B&W and duotone.

I know what you mean about taking a lot of slightly different photos and then chosing the favourite. I do the same thing sometimes if it's a really trying situation with the lighting for example.. but you get to a point where you're just so busy and wasting so much time wading through your photos trying to find that good one and editing them. I personally usually try just to take an extra few seconds thinking about what I want to get from the photo and really look at the scene. I think I'm slooooowly getting the hang of it... But until then it's snap snap snap.

Most reactions

Back