Invest more in Canon system or wait until switch?

sergiomartinez11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so here is a question that is a bit more involved than your average "Canon vs. Nikon" thread.
Background: I recently bought a Canon 50D over a Nikon D90 as my first DSLR for a simple reason. I was able to get a great deal on it with a 28-135 USM lens used and it was considered "semi-pro" while the Nikon D90 was lumped into the "amateur/enthusiast" catagory. I mainly use the Canon 50D for portraits and landscape photography, not really much sports or nature. For this application, as I have been reading, Nikon seems to excel over Canon. I freaked out and briefly considered dumping my recent purchase for a loss to get all new Nikon stuff but then realized that I don't necessarily need a new camera right now. For starting out the Canon 50D is good enough. I also realize that Canon and Nikon seem to leapfrog each other every couple of years.
So here comes the question: Do I invest more in the Canon system (lenses) and do a body upgrade down the line when/if Canon "catches up" with Nikon, or do I save my money and stop buying Canon stuff, stick with my one lens and body for a few years and THEN upgrade to a Nikon system?
To me it seems like buying a camera body and only using one lens is a lot like buying a video game system to only play one video game, but I don't want to invest more in Canon if I will eventually get a Nikon. (Fire extinguisher standing by for inevitable flaming)

Oof.

50D and D90 are of the same build really, but that's besides the point - you seemed to have fallen for marketing over what you really wanted, again - besides the point.

Do you like the 50D? What is it about the camera that is limiting your ability, or is it just what you've read that is causing your concern?

I'm a Nikon guy, but not because of what I read - because of how it works and feels in my hands.

If you switch, I'd say the sooner the better otherwise you're just going to continue to buy stuff that you'll need to sell at a loss.

The D90 is no better than the 50D at portraits or landscapes.....not one bit. The only place it might excel would be a touch cleaner higher ISO, that is all really. The 50D packs far more than the D90. If you are thinking more in the long term, either system has what you will be looking for really.

So what are you going to do? Upgrade every two years when one system is ahead of the other? Right now Nikons smaller bodied D700 is nice and feature packed. Canons 5DII is nice, but in my opinion not as good as the D700 other than resolution. The pro cameras are a wash. But Canons 7D trumps the D300s in my opinion. Things will likely change soon, then swing the other way again.

My advice..........stop reading on the internet and shoot photos instead. Or at least take everything you read with a grain of salt and understand that any difference in comparable models between the two companies is splitting hairs.

The weather is getting warmer, go out and shoot and enjoy that 50D. My friend owns one and his images are twice what I get out of my bodies. He's got 25 years shooting experience on me.............thats what counts. Time behind the camera and less forum reading. LOL

I do not have any complaints about the Canon 50D. My skill as a photographer is not yet limited by my equipment. But in a few years I want to know that I invested in a system that will suite my needs. That may be a superfluous thing to say since nobody knows what will happen in a few years, and current differences between same generation cameras are marginal at best. Guess I'll have to go out and get more experience as a photographer before I can really identify what my needs will be anyway. :)

YOu bought into one of the best systems there is for DSLR's. No worries, take photos.

agreed. A 50D will work just fine for pretty much anything you would want to do. As would the Nikon, I wouldn't switch systems for the fear of the system being wrong.

There are a ton of pros shooting both systems, really either of them would work perfectly fine for you, and I highly doubt you'll ever reach a point that Canon's equipment is holding you back photographically (as long as you're willing to upgrade of course) more than Nikon or any of the others.

If you do decide to switch, which some people do both ways, that's entirely a personal decision. Some people do and are glad they did. And some do, and then switch right back. What you are going to do, only you (maybe) know, so decide accordingly.

I would not trade a 50D for a D90. The 50D is a superb camera and it's the one camera I regret selling most.

It doesn't sound to me like you would be switching for anything tangible, just what you *think* might be true - that being the D90 is better at portraits than the 50D. Rest assured the D90 doesn't take a better portrait.

So, stick with what you have and learn how to use it.

eh gad... what's with all the posts related to people's need for reassurance (or lack thereof) in their choice of camera?

99% of the time, you will be at no advantage (at times loose out) in a system change. The improvements are not in the camera but in one's ability. I don't think there are that many people posting here (including me) that are at the point in their photography that a 50D (or anything similar) is the bottleneck in their progression.

Stick to what you have. Nikon or Canon... both are extremely capable systems and probably more than anyone needs.

YOu bought into one of the best systems there is for DSLR's. No worries, take photos.

@ Montana one question ... How do you like the 1DMIV? I was looking at your equipment list.

LOL dude, you're making yourself unnecessarily crazy. Stop reading about gear on the internet. Go shoot. Your camera is extremely good.

The 5D MKII is a real lanscape photographer's camera. Don't fool yourself kid, you'll be settling for the bottom of the barrel with Nikon.

I mainly use the Canon 50D for portraits and landscape photography, not really much sports or nature. For this application, as I have been reading, Nikon seems to excel over Canon. I freaked out and briefly considered dumping my recent purchase for a loss to get all new Nikon stuff but then realized that I don't necessarily need a new camera right now

You will not see much different at the end whether you use Nikon or Canon. Camera technology change every years. Hey, that's how they make money. One day, this camera is king, the next day, it is obsolete. Don't worry about your purchase, just shoot .. shoot and shoot ...

By the way, it is not the camera excel in landscape and portrait photography. It is you. :)

The only reason I chose D90 over a 50d was the CLS system on the D90. I love it for everything from Macros to portraits and couldn't live without it. Canon makes an add on ST-E2 (Nikon's version is the SU-800) that allows a TTL wireless flash but I've "heard" (so take as hearsay) that the Canon system isn't nearly as good as NIkons....though I believe Canon is working it's way up in that aspect.

All that said, Canon is a great system as well with the 50d being a great camera (though I'd just as soon have a 40d if I was switching). If you don't mind shooting off camera flash in solely manual mode, having a sync cable restricting your movements, or don't mind spending a couple hundred for Canon's wireless ST-E2 TTL remote system, don't bother switching. It would actually be cheaper for you to get an ST-E2 than the money you would lose from switching systems...so that's the route I'd go.

Most reactions

Back