iPhone 4s update issue - anny Apple geniuses out there?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had my iPhone 4s, running iOS 7.0 for approximately a year now, and haven't had any issues with it until recently. About three weeks ago (just after iOS 8 was announced) my ability to update apps stopped.

Symptoms: 'Phone shows updates available 'X' apps. I go to the update screen and see them listed, but the "Update All" is grayed out. The individual "Update" button for each app is still blue, BUT... if I select it, all that happens is that it opens the app.

What I've done: Turned the 'phone off and on, closed all apps, tried again. I've turned off cell data and tried to update on wifi only as well as turning off wifi and trying to update on cellular data only. I have not done a full back-up & restore because that will wipe out all of the data from my calendar app (Fantastical). For most apps, it's not a huge deal since I can simply delete & reinstall the app, but again, when it comes to apps with data such as my calendar, that will be a HUGE pain.

Edited to add: I only have one iTunes account which I have signed out of and back into .

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Not sure if this would work or if you could do this, but can you update the apps from your computer/iTunes and then sync the updated apps?

Not sure if this would work or if you could do this, but can you update the apps from your computer/iTunes and then sync the updated apps?
That should work, but for my particular situation, it would be very inconvenient.

Take off the badge icon notification and pretend they don't need to be updated?

No I'm not updating to iOS 8, but even if the apps now required iOS 8 minimum that wouldn't cause this issue, I wouldn't think, and since one of the apps is facebook...

Are you sure you haven't got it set to update on wifi only?

In settings / cellular / check app store is allowing updates over cellular.

Might be you're not in wifi range and it can't update over the air, as you aren't allowing it to?

just a thought

how much free space do you have left on your 4S ?

I recall my old ipod 2 not being able to update because alot of the apps required a newer version. But those apps told you that it requires xx version iOS.

First off start syncing your calendar with iCloud or Google that way you are not at risk of loosing that data.

The first version of any new OS is always a little buggy and when it comes to iPhones there are always even more issues on the oldest model phone that will run it (your iPhone 4s is the oldest model iPhone that will run iOS8)

Apple announced yesterday that ios8.1 will be released on Monday. I recommend seeing if that solves the issues you are having. If it does not then I recommend restoring the phone and setting it up new (don't restore from backup) because often times backups can contain the corruption causing the issue.

From what I understand they added in some voice recognition technology to the newly updated OS and if the phone doesn't hear you annoying the crap out of at least 5 different people a day about how they should switch to Iphone it won't let you update any apps until you do.

Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back