Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I recently broke down and upgraded my rather well worn iPhone SE to an iPhone 11 running iOS 13.something. Overall, quite happy with it, other than the size... I'd like it about 1/3 smaller, but that is what it is. What's really irritating me is that I can't seem to stop it from automatically downloading e-mail.

I have "Fetch New Data" turned off, I have "Push" to off, and "Fetch" is set to "Manually", yet, it still keeps pulling new 'mail from my server. I only want it to download new 'mail when I open the 'mail application...

Everything I can find on line seems to indicate that my current settings, but clearly not. Any iPhone experts out there that set me straight?

Sorry can’t help. I don’t get it though - what is the reason for wanting that set up? Just curious...

I just turn off the notifications for gmail (personal) and Outlook (work). It still gets them, but I don't see it unless I open the app.

Maybe turn off “background app refresh”?

Sorry can’t help. I don’t get it though - what is the reason for wanting that set up? Just curious...
Mostly just because... for whatever reason I like to make the decisions instead of letting a machine make them for me. I also only ever use my 'phone for e-mail when I have NO other means of access.

Mostly just because... for whatever reason I like to make the decisions instead of letting a machine make them for me. I also only ever use my 'phone for e-mail when I have NO other means of access.

Then I think if you go in Apps and select your email then turn off background app refresh for that app it will only refresh when you open the app.

Sadly pretty much all the mobile/tablet designers these days want it the other way around- they are telling you what you do and don't want. Apple are particularly bad at the software doing everything its way only. It works great for many users who are not technically minded, but for those who are it can be a right pain turning things off, finding if you can turn them off and then generally finding that they turn themselves back on whenever it gets an update (which half the time might remove the option to turn them off or move it somewhere obscure) ;)

Sadly pretty much all the mobile/tablet designers these days want it the other way around- they are telling you what you do and don't want. Apple are particularly bad at the software doing everything its way only. It works great for many users who are not technically minded, but for those who are it can be a right pain turning things off, finding if you can turn them off and then generally finding that they turn themselves back on whenever it gets an update (which half the time might remove the option to turn them off or move it somewhere obscure) ;)
S'trewth!

..- they are telling you what you do and don't want. Apple are particularly bad at the software doing everything its way only. ..)
Agreed! If there is one thing that I would switch off, it would be the notorious Apple integration, where everything links with everything. PITA.

Re post 9 windows 10 seems to have gone the same way.
I am using an old I phone 6 and after each update I have to go into settings and turn off loads of things, drives me mad

iPhones are definitely not the way to go if you want total control. I preferred the interface on my old Samsung but switched to iPhone when I got my daughter one and wanted to use FaceTime and find my iPhone to keep track of her. I do love the camera in my new iPhone 11 and having everything synch is a bonus for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back