IQ comparison: Sigma 70-200 F2.8 VS. Tamron 28-70 F2.8

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which one of these lenses has higher quality glass, and produce the best images? I'm aware that they have different focal lengths, I was just curious as to which one's image quality is better. The Sigma is $300 more than the Tamron, but its focal lengths are much longer. Your insight is appreciated.

With those brands it probably depends on the individual lens, the $300 difference is because of the focal length--f2.8 telephotos are $$

Of course. I was just curious about the quality of the picture produced. Anyone?

I owned the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and it was very, very sharp. Great lens. Do you really mean the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8? I owned that for a few days - it was very sharp, but terrible AF, and a strange range for a crop body.

They are not only different lengths as you mentioned, but completely different lenses when it comes to feel, use, and autofocus. I am not sure which was sharper - they were both pretty sharp.

I just got the sigma 70-200 f2.8 today and I'm like a kid in a candy store. The details of the images are incredible, very, very happy with this lens. Feedback from others was important in my making this decision and most everyone rates this as a very good lens

My friend has the tamron 28-75mm f2.8.
She has a D700, though, so like someone already mentioned, I wonder if it's better for her because of the FF.
Here's some of her shots.
3038986842_e86c71d6aa.jpg

3038899784_aa9d49f5cb.jpg

3038060809_13a830215f.jpg

3038897830_1ed6435929.jpg

3038058117_14d6e5a90c.jpg

3036648568_d9d962ceb2.jpg

She says it has SOME macro ability.

Ah. I am just looking into my next lens as either a Tamron 17-50, a Tamron 28-75, or maybe even a Sigma 70-200. The Sigma costs much more money, but I already have the 18-70 focal lengths covered. Come to think of it, I don't think I'm gonna want a Tamron 28-75, but the Tamron is definitely on the table and maybe even the Sigma. Just contemplating if that extra $300 is really worth it. It would mean waiting a much longer time to purchase one, maybe even months. I'm in school now, and am too busy with extracurriculars to have a job, so that extra $300 is going to take a bit of time to make.

On the other hand, if the Tamron can produce images of very similar quality, then I probably don't need the Sigma. Those focal ranges are nice, but not worth the extra $300. Plus, I can sell my 18-70 if I get the 17-50, which means a little extra money for other stuff.

It might be a personal prefrence kinda like Canon or Nikon, but from all the reviews I've read on this very subject, I have found the majority say that Sigma is an overall better quality lens than Tamron

Why are you not sure which range you want?

Here's one with the Sigma wide open.

KWH_8555-1.jpg
Doesn't really look too super.

Take a look at the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 too. I have it and it's beutiful on the D3/700.

Here's photograph I did recently that perfectly explains it's clarity.

3034592314_0cdb326172_o.jpg

And the centerish at 100%:

dsc5534edityo2.jpg

Now if that's not sharp, I don't know what is.

I did however get to handle a Sigma 70-200 HSM last week and i'll admit, I was a little impressed by it's speed of focusing. It's pretty quick and torquey, but can be really indecisive. I have no idea on how sharp or contrasty it is.

Quit blaming the gear. Lens sharpness has been excellent for the last 50 years. 99.9% of sharpness issues are with the photog, not the lens. Tamron and Sigma lenses regularly match top of the line Canon and Nikon lenses in sharpness tests, and sometimes beat them. The difference in cost is usually about build quality, AF, IS/VR, advertising budget, etc... AND HYPE!!!
Compare prints with your bare eyeballs. If you are a photographer who's final product is prints that's the only test that matters.

Results from a 50+ year old, Ansco (the Sigma of it's day) anastigmat (one of the oldest popular designs) lens. The corners and edges are a little soft compared to the center, but the center sharpness matches or beats ANY zoom lens available today.

harryc.jpg

I know it is not related at all, but in the 24-70 range... with Sigma and Nikkor, there was no visible differences at F/8, but as you started to open up the lens, the differences became more and more obvious. By F/2.8, the Sigma almost looked as if it was back-focusing because of how unclear it was compared to the Nikkor.

This is certainly not the case with all lenses, but I felt interesting to note in this discussion.

There are times to go 3rd party and times not to. Doing the homework and researching is the key to getting the best lens for your needs/budget.

One of the first things, though, is to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. Do not be comparing different focal lengths and manufacturers. It's like comparing a luxury bus with a Corvette, each is THE choice for someone, but for totally different reasons... its not logical to say the least. ;)

Last edited:
I understand that, however I'm not quite sure which focal lengths I want yet. Surely you can compare an image from the Sigma at 70 and from the Tamron at 50? I was curious as to the image quality produced by the lenses.

I am unsure about which focal lengths I want because I sometimes find myself wanting wider, and sometimes longer. In any case, I wanted to know about the quality of the images that came out of the lens, not the lens itself. I could probably get more use out of the 70-200 because I am more often wanting a longer lens, however the 17-50 would be used more, and I could sell my 18-70 and put a few extra bucks in my pocket, not to mention the extra $400 the sigma will cost.

As for the Nikon/Third party debate, I can't afford Nikon. Third party will have to be good enough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back