IR photography

mbartolucci

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello forum!

So ive recently discovered the curious and interesting world of IR photography and I would love to give it a go. So before i go out and buy a filter and start trying things out, I was wondering if anyone has had some experience with this type of photography? any tips or suggestions? Any suggestions for a specific filter??

Infrared photography requires both a special film, and a filter to screen out the non-IR wavelengths. If you are using a DSLR, you should be aware that most DSLR sensors have a filter installed that filters out the infrared. Certain cameras that DO want to capture the red part of the spectrum more effectively (usually for astronomical images), have the IR filter removed. I believe Canon makes such a camera. Longer wavelength infrared becomes thermal infrared. For thermal infrared, the standard DSLR cameras won't work, as glass is opaque to thermal IR. For that part of the wave spectrum you need a thermograph, which is a camera with specialized detectors and lenses. I use such a device for doing building inspections, as can be seen here:
flir_20170106T123916.jpg

oh ok! some of the websites i was reading from werent very clear about the DSLR thing. So i would basically need a camera without the IR filter built into the sensor.. Thats a shame! haha

For a time, there was a subset of people that were removing IR filters from DSLRs for this purpose. I know for a fact that the Nikon D80 was used for this, but I'm not sure what other cameras were/are.

I've seen several IR converted D80s on eBay recently.

The sensors used in digital cameras are inherently sensitive to IR up to about 1100nm, so the camera is fitted with a hot mirror just in front of the sensor. Even with this most digital cameras can record IR images with just a R72 or similar filter in front of the lens. Exposure times WILL be long & a DSLRs viewfinder will be useless (ideally it should be covered as it introduces a light leak). Tripods are normally required for this...
A few older cameras have weaker hot mirrors making them more sensitive to IR. My old K100d could be used handheld on a summers day for IR, by turning up the ISO & using a fast lens. This panorama was done using that:
Infra red Panorama by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Other options are to modify a camera yourself, this can be relatively easy with some compact cameras (I've done it on one, but gave up on another where the case was in too any pieces).
You can get a camera converted professionally (typically $250) or buy one used that's already converted (I did this & paid less than any conversion charge locally). There are several options for converted cameras I went for full spectrum using a mirrorless camera, so I can restrict the wavelength range with a filter on the lens yet still see the image in the viewfinder, this allows the full range of options to be investigated combining parts of the visual spectrum with IR...

I'm on a forum dedicated to IR photography, which might be useful. Here's a link to an article I put up there on why shoot IR, Why shoot infra-red - notes from a workshop session (2) | Global Infrared Photography Village
Browsing the rest of the forum should be easy from there :)

Last edited:
oh ok! some of the websites i was reading from werent very clear about the DSLR thing. So i would basically need a camera without the IR filter built into the sensor.. Thats a shame! haha
There are companies that can remove the filter on a DSLR -- I've a friend who had this done.

Hello forum!

So ive recently discovered the curious and interesting world of IR photography and I would love to give it a go. So before i go out and buy a filter and start trying things out, I was wondering if anyone has had some experience with this type of photography? any tips or suggestions? Any suggestions for a specific filter??

Canon G10 compact/P&S has no IR filter. YOu simply buy an extender tube and screw on a regular 55mm IR filter. These are older 12-14MP cameras and you can pick them up regularly feor way under $200. They are quite nice little cameras. the tube and filters (R72 720 nm and the extender are total about $50) exposure time runs well under 1 sec with these.

Canon G10 compact/P&S has no IR filter. YOu simply buy an extender tube and screw on a regular 55mm IR filter. These are older 12-14MP cameras and you can pick them up regularly feor way under $200. They are quite nice little cameras. the tube and filters (R72 720 nm and the extender are total about $50) exposure time runs well under 1 sec with these.

Sony has also released several models with 'Nightshot' which is a mode removing the hot mirror (+ adding a IR LED) My V1 was £15 which has this. Many of the models including mine are very limited in the control they give in nightshot mode, forcing wide apertures & high ISO (even disabling it if the filter is screwed right in!)

Some of the Sigma foveon DSLRs have a dust protector that is also the hot mirror & is very easily removed & replaced. Results from these are VERY different than other Digital systems using Bayer filters. I hope to try one sometime.

For thermal infrared, the standard DSLR cameras won't work, as glass is opaque to thermal IR. For that part of the wave spectrum you need a thermograph, which is a camera with specialized detectors and lenses. I use such a device for doing building inspections,
I think you'll find glass transmits thermal IR quite well (look at the windows on your building inspections). The issue with normal cameras is more that silicon is transparent to IR with wavelengths over 1150nm so Can't be used in the detector. Lenses for thermal cameras don't use glass but use more refractive materials instead that are opaque to visible light.
I'd like to plat with a thermal camera too, but unfortunately they tend to be very low resolution & rather expensive... (The more affordable FLIR cameras are not available outside the USA)

For thermal infrared, the standard DSLR cameras won't work, as glass is opaque to thermal IR. For that part of the wave spectrum you need a thermograph, which is a camera with specialized detectors and lenses. I use such a device for doing building inspections,
I think you'll find glass transmits thermal IR quite well (look at the windows on your building inspections). The issue with normal cameras is more that silicon is transparent to IR with wavelengths over 1150nm so Can't be used in the detector. Lenses for thermal cameras don't use glass but use more refractive materials instead that are opaque to visible light.
I'd like to plat with a thermal camera too, but unfortunately they tend to be very low resolution & rather expensive... (The more affordable FLIR cameras are not available outside the USA)
The FLIR ONE (second generation) for either android or iOS is quite affordable. I have picked it up to see if having this tool is useful enough in my work to consider getting a dedicated thermograph which has better resolution, focusing ability, and recording ability. What I'm seeing to date that it is an extremely useful tool. Yesterday, for instance, I was asked to troubleshoot the roof system for an older home which had a number of additions, extensions, and upgrades done to it over the years, and quite a few things weren't working right. The IR ability highlighted areas of poor insulation, various deficiencies in the way the various roof parts integrated, and explained the reasons for certain instances of persistent condensation. Between the physical inspection and the IR view, we were able to work out how the different building parts were working (or not), and give the homeowners a much better idea of what needs to be fixed and the relative importance of the various elements, so they can now plan and prioritize what's important to them. However, the examination also highlighted the dangers of jumping to conclusions, in that physical examination was required to confirm or negate what the imagery implied.

The FLIR ONE (second generation) for either android or iOS is quite affordable.
When I checked previously this was only available in the USA, now it seems there are preorders being taken in the UK, so I might be able to get one soon (my phone will need an update first) - the 120x160 resolution is going to severely limit the imaging options.

The FLIR ONE (second generation) for either android or iOS is quite affordable.
When I checked previously this was only available in the USA, now it seems there are preorders being taken in the UK, so I might be able to get one soon (my phone will need an update first) - the 120x160 resolution is going to severely limit the imaging options.
That is true, but there is a better version coming out in spring that has four times the resolution.

As a photographic imager, it's very crude. As a tool to detect thermal energy, it's pretty impressive, especially at the price. It uses the trick of merging a visual light image together with the thermal image to produce something that gives the appearance of higher resolution. Since I'm using it to detect hot and cold spots, and I can move closer or further away, the resolution is quite adequate for my purposes. I also have my DSLR and cell phone, and take additional photos with those to cover the subject areas I image with the thermograph. As well, FLIR have some software tools that can be downloaded that allow you to work with the images (compress or expand the thermal span, pinpoint temperatures, etc.).

I use the device with a LG G4 phone and the combination is actually quite impressive.

those might be reflections
I think you'll find glass transmits thermal IR quite well (look at the windows on your building inspections).
If they where just reflections & glass was opaque to heat then I doubt we'd all have double glazing (close spaced double glazing is to reduce heat loss, there is also a widely spaced usage to reduce sound transmission).

makes sense. we know that you can't get tan through a window because it blocks ultraviolet. it would be goofy to think that glass blocks frequencies only outside of the human vision, like infrared, too!

those might be reflections
I think you'll find glass transmits thermal IR quite well (look at the windows on your building inspections).
If they where just reflections & glass was opaque to heat then I doubt we'd all have double glazing (close spaced double glazing is to reduce heat loss, there is also a widely spaced usage to reduce sound transmission).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back