IR Question

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay tommorow I'm gonna get an IR filter either at a store if they're not to overpriced or off the net. I've decided on the one that I want but I had a few questions for you smart folks :) I know it will work well on digital and then can be colorized in PS, but what if I were to use this IR filter on say TMax 100 or 400 speed film? Would it work successfully and would I have to do anything different in the darkroom to it? Also is it possible to use on color film and get decent results, say having that processed at walmart, would it work? Just curious...

It would depend on how much of the spectrum that Tmax is sensitive to is being blocked by the filter. I don't know how far Tmax's sensitivity goes (check at kodak.com), but I assume not into the IR. If you used a red #25 (which is commonly used in IR photography) you would still get an image, because it's letting at least some of the visible spectrum through. If you use a really strong IR filter that lets very little visible spectrum through it would be like a really dense ND filter.

Thanks for the help Matt :) I'm gonna order a Hoya RM 72 tonight and I guess I'll have a blast experimenting!

Meysha said:
Why do they use a Red #25 filter on IR film?

It blocks enough of the visible spectrum to get a decent IR effect, and it's cheap compared to most other filter used with IR photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back