IR - Simulated aerochrom

petrochemist

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
North Essex UK (despite the German hosting!)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently been playing with an old Sigma SD14, one of the few cameras with a Foveon sensor rather a Bayer matrix to give color information. The infra red blocking filter is combined with a dust protector on this camera & easily pops out - converting the camera to an IR sensitive model. The IR being seen mainly in the red channel.

My initial results with this setup have been most disappointing with highly posturized images, the only improvement being eventually achieved using sigma's own RAW software which is IMO less than user friendly. However over the winter I heard of a trick that I've now been able to try out.
As before remove the IR filter, but this time add a (green) X1 filter and use CWB or fluorescent WB.

When the suns out this has been giving me results SOOC fairly similar to the old Aerochrome IR film.

Flickr is heavily crippled at work, so the easiest way to show the results at the moment is to link to a thread on an IR forum which contains some. I'll hopefully get some examples added directly here soon.

Your link requires that you register before seeing. Perhaps you can repost via Flickr later?

Last edited:
Odd results, from my POV. Thanks for posting directly in the thread.

Freaky, has more of a cross processed look then what I'd associate with IR

Freaky, has more of a cross processed look then what I'd associate with IR
Aerochrome was never a conventional IR film, it was designed for aerial surveillance, and is false colour showing IR as red. Heres a link to one of the sites discussing it (and a new film that's similar in nature).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back