Ireland HDR's

Beautiful places, but as I often see on this forum... these are way more tonemapped than they are HDR... with possible exception of the cemetery shots where the sun is behind the subject.

The look of a tone mapped picture is my preference regardless of lighting situation; however, if you mean to say that I could have gotten the same results out of tone mapping a single shot, I would respectfully disagree. Having seen the original images I would argue that HDR was necessary for each shot to achieve the desired dynamic range. The sun may not have been in the daylight shots, but I assure you it was bright enough that one shot would not have sufficed.

mmm.... well, no, I could have gotten the same result with one shot but it would have been way easier with tonemapping, so no argument there.

I was more commenting that you could have gotten the full dynamic range with one exposure AND if you were just going for the tonemapped look you definitely didn't need to do multiple exposures to get it as tonemapping off of one would have sufficed in most of them.

It seems the best thing you can do is consult with Manaheim how HE would do YOUR pictures and then follow HIS instructions. Then YOUR pictures will meet with HIS approval.

It seems the best thing you can do is consult with Manaheim how HE would do YOUR pictures and then follow HIS instructions. Then YOUR pictures will meet with HIS approval.

At least I'm expressing a reasoned opinion other than either:

a> "wow attaboy" (pat on back)
b> whining about someone elses opinions

Which seems to be all of what I see coming from you.

What did I say? You mean you wouldnt want these people you consider to be idiots to consult with you on how to do it best? Im only suggesting how they can meet with your approval.

I was more commenting that you could have gotten the full dynamic range with one exposure AND if you were just going for the tonemapped look you definitely didn't need to do multiple exposures to get it as tonemapping off of one would have sufficed in most of them.

I completely disagree with that entire statement, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

Bynx's statement I completely agree with however :thumbup::mrgreen:

^^ :lol:

You people crack me up. (really this is more to Bynx, but Brick you DID feel the need to toss in your support for his statements)

Someone dares to offer an opinion that challenges your perceptions on something, and rather than listen to it or maybe have an interesting discussion about it (which I think this particular one could have been), you flare up and smack the opposing viewpoint down with childish outbursts.

What you seem to be missing here is that I really couldn't possibly care what your choices are for how you want to go about your business. The quickest way to shut me down in any of these discussions is to say "Yeah, well, I like doing it that way" and I totally go "mmm, ok. Seems weird, but hey whatever floats your boat." I mean seriously... why would I care? I'm merely offering some thoughts because frequently people don't realize that they can get similar results in different and/or easier and/or less expensive ways.

That's bad? :lol: Well, ok then! I stand accused! :lol:

Anyway... even a "well, I like doing it that way!" isn't really what's at issue when we get to folks like Bynx. What's at issue with Bynx and his ilk is that he deems it necessary to snipe at me... not my viewpoints... me. These people seem to take it as a personal affront that I dare suggest that I can do the same trick with a contrast boost and a saturation slider. (which, by the way, in many cases... I can... and have proven it)

Anyway... whatever. Bynx, I'll send you some maalox. You're gonna have an ulcer within a few weeks at this rate.

manaheim I suggest you stop treating people here like they are idiots. I will oppose your attitude every time you tell people how they did their picture is wrong. Im all for helping people, if they ask for it. But when they show a decent photo you shouldnt shoot them down because they didnt do it your way. You continuously do this. Dont you suppose the the members in the HDR forum are usually the same ones. Im sure they have all seen your rants about your correct time saving way to do things. If it was that important to them they would be consulting you. Get off your high horse and just leave them alone unless they ask for your help and keep your comments to the photo they have submitted and not the procedure they used to process the photo.

manaheim I suggest you stop treating people here like they are idiots. I will oppose your attitude every time you tell people how they did their picture is wrong.

I don't feel I'm treating anyone like an idiot. If folks feel that way, then I certainly feel badly. I'm merely expressing an opinion. Yes, it's a pretty consistent one, but I feel passionately about this, and last I checked it's ok to feel passionately and express opinions, regardless of whether or not you happen to like those opinions.

I don't tell people how they did it wrong. That is your mis-characterization. I suggest that they could have accomplished the same result with other methods. Suggesting alternatives is not a crime, Bynx. It's the beginnings of intelligent discourse. Argue the point if you disagree.

Im all for helping people, if they ask for it. But when they show a decent photo you shouldnt shoot them down because they didnt do it your way. You continuously do this.

No, I don't. And "decent photo" is your opinion. Perhaps "not so decent" is mine. It's an opinion. How is that shooting anyone down? Do I hold such overwhelming credibility in the community that I must be so feared? If I'm just some random internet ***, then why not just ignore me and move on? Don't let me have such power over you. It's scary and I don't want that kind of responsibility. :sexywink:

Dont you suppose the the members in the HDR forum are usually the same ones. Im sure they have all seen your rants about your correct time saving way to do things. If it was that important to them they would be consulting you. Get off your high horse and just leave them alone unless they ask for your help and keep your comments to the photo they have submitted and not the procedure they used to process the photo.

Unless they ask for my comments? Seriously. Have you even looked over the other parts of this forum? I don't think you realize how this all works.

I've been here a heck of a lot longer than you, Bynx. My approach is far from unusual, with the possible exception that TPF has somewhat taken a turn towards "attaboys", and I tend to not do that. The worst you can accuse me of is being direct and honest in my opinions.

The rest of your comments are really kinda ridiculous and bely a lack of understanding of the true nature of your surroundings here.

Anyway... this is way off-topic, and I think we've sniped at each other enough. Going forward if you choose to snipe at me- in the interest of those who are watching- I'll refrain from response and let you have the last word. There's really not much point in us butting heads in every other thread.

Dont you suppose the the members in the HDR forum are usually the same ones. Im sure they have all seen your rants about your correct time saving way to do things. If it was that important to them they would be consulting you. Get off your high horse and just leave them alone unless they ask for your help and keep your comments to the photo they have submitted and not the procedure they used to process the photo.

Unless they ask for my comments? Seriously. Have you even looked over the other parts of this forum? I don't think you realize how this all works.

Who said anything about asking for your comments? Reread it again. Hint, hint (the word is HELP)

Im sure you probably mean well. But the way you talk to people just gets my back up and I have to say something if no one else will. Maybe Im wrong and shouldnt say anything and let you talk to them any way you want and as long as they sit there and take it maybe they deserve it. But I dont think they do. And I dont care how long you've been here. Talking down to people is not right.

Everyone here is clearly entitled to his/her own opinion. But I am just sharing my own opinion here, it has been consistent manaheim that you come across speaking in a negative way when someone post a quality shot, for you to say your way would've been easier tonemapping a single shot to get the same results that is not properly giving critique but more insulting the op and being arrogant.

-------------
Brick by the way sorry for throwing off your post.
You did great in my eyes I like all the images
and I applaud the work. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
The statement of "quality shot" is also an opinion.

My suggesting an alternative approach isn't arrogant. It's a suggestion, which can be ignored like any other.

cemetary is my fav, but love the rest too. good job. Now I need to do some HDR's

Obviously manaheim is convinced of his ignorant opinion (and I do mean ignorant in the actual definition of the word) so this is really for the rest of you to confirm that you should take his advice with a grain of salt. Below you'll find two of the same shot, one bracketed HDR and one taken from a single RAW. I used the exact same photomatix settings for each then desaturated them to simplify the point. What you'll notice are the exact reasons I bracket. The single shot "HDR" isn't dark enough and has blown out clouds and isn't light enough to show the detail in the trees. The actual HDR however, has none of these problems because (duh) it has a higher dynamic range. Strange how that works.

one%20shot.jpg

three%20shot.jpg

Obviously manaheim is convinced of his ignorant opinion (and I do mean ignorant in the actual definition of the word) so this is really for the rest of you to confirm that you should take his advice with a grain of salt. Below you'll find two of the same shot, one bracketed HDR and one taken from a single RAW. I used the exact same photomatix settings for each then desaturated them to simplify the point. What you'll notice are the exact reasons I bracket. The single shot "HDR" isn't dark enough and has blown out clouds and isn't light enough to show the detail in the trees. The actual HDR however, has none of these problems because (duh) it has a higher dynamic range. Strange how that works.

one%20shot.jpg

three%20shot.jpg

I'm sorry, my ignorant opinion is what now?

I don't recall saying that you couldn't get more dynamic range out of three bracketed images turned HDR than you could out of one. That would be fairly stupid.

If you're going to be lobbing words like ignorant around maybe you should at least be sure you're clear on the opinion of the person you are lobbing those words at.

Most reactions

Back