Is a battery grip worth it?

I never bothered to get one. When I shooting and go to portrait orientation the right side of the camera goes down and my finger never leaves the shutter release. I don't understand people who have to "twist around" to do this.
I don't know how the buttons are laid out on your K10D, but on my Canon bodies I have more than a shutter release I need to access in the vertical position.

I can't easily hit the FE Lock button when using a flash. Also, I can't hit my AF point select button easily nor my AF-ON button. It also makes reaching the thumbwheel for making adjustments to exposure compensation much easier. I use all of these and when in vertical mode they really aren't accessible without the grip. If all I needed to access was the shutter release button I would be fine.

If you are even thinking about shooting a wedding you need to have a battery grip. The extra battery life will make sure you don't have to waste any more time changing out your battery and missing a great shot.

It will take a bit to get used to the feel of one, but I think it has a better feeling of stability in my hands.

I used to be skeptical about the benefits of grips, but I bought one for my d200 to have added battery life. Now when I use my D70 or F100, they feel really weird without it. I do find the extra weight is a good thing when using heavier lenses to help keep them steady, and the vertical release is a plus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back