Is Image Stabilization Worth The Cost

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been debating getting a nice image stabilizing lens. We'd mainly be using the lens for wedding and studio pictures. Do you guys who have one consider your image stabilization lens something that has really improved your images?

I freekin love it, especially on the 70-200. I can even manually refocus (often my preference) while it is humming...

I guess one might want to shoot freehand in studio with softer light on occasion, so if that is you there is more value. Obviously with a tripod and good lighting you will turn it off.

BTW - I don't think it is a matter of improving IQ, but more an issue of getting the shot or not.

A search will reveal this has been addressed many times if you are the data mining type.

-Shea

I think IS is important enough that it was a an option I looked for system wise not just lens to lens. That way I have it on any lens I attach to my camera. It can be a real life saver at receptions and poorly light churches that will not allow flash.

I consider it worth paying extra on lenses to have the option of using IS and I do use it a lot when shooting handheld. However there was a long time before IS was around and so its fully possible to function without it.

If your doing indoor shots then chances are you might be in situations where your shutter speed is going to be slower than ideal - provided that you stay above the speed required to freeze any motion present in the shot then IS can help you get a much sharper result by countering and shake from your holding of the kit - this can be very important when using a tripod or monopod is not possible in a situation

With the current economice situation prices for mostly everything photographic have gone up mostly - they have come down over christmas and might stay down, but sadly with the current climate predicting prices of things is very difficult. I would not be tempted to sit and wait on purchases in the short term as things are like to get worse before they get better

in comparison to non IS versions of lenses IS lenses are still pretty much as high above as they were before - general differnces in prices have not really changed - but the base lines have

I consider IS an important option if it's available. I like shooting with available light only and then it's worth every penny. When shooting long focal length lenses I find ita must have for all those handheld opps.

I think IS might not be as useful in studio and wedding photography (at least if you use flash), but it's always a good thing to have.

I love VR. It allows hand held shots in lower light and, at longer focal lenghts.

I've been debating getting a nice image stabilizing lens. We'd mainly be using the lens for wedding and studio pictures. Do you guys who have one consider your image stabilization lens something that has really improved your images?

Canon? Nikon?

Not that brand makes a difference. Have you ever shot at focal lengths in the 200mm range hands free with VR and without VR where shutter speeds were at 1/80th or lower?

Do it once... you will have the answer to your question in about 4 seconds. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back