Is IS that important to you in a lens?

Wow lots of good feedback here. Thanks. :) I definitely want IS. And I've ruled out the lens I was looking at which didn't have IS.

My mind is really buzzing now of all the decisions I need to make. Do I get the kit lens (18-55 IS) or the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM? What about the 50mm 1.4 USM? How does that fit in, if it does? It's what I want in IQ. Then there's the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM which is exactly what I want in IQ and performance. But if I get the 28-135 then how much does it buy me to have a 70-200?

Okay much to think about. :)

IS or Not IS .... It really depends on the type of photography you are going after. If you just want to get started. For the cropped body, 1x -5x mm range lens is a good starting point, with or WITHOUT IS.

For limited budget, it is fine to get the Kit lens. Or spend a little more for the 17-50mm f/2.8 (Tamorn or Sigma). If the shutter speed is fast enough, you do not need IS at all in this range.

Also, do you aware that the 70-200mm F/2.8 IS lens is a lot heavier than the 70-200mm F/4? I learned that someone in here prefer the F/4 because of the weight issue. (3.24lb vs 25 oz)

Seriously, if you do not know what lenses to get right now, then just get the kit lens or the 17-50mm f/2.8 with the camera. No need to worry about other lenses for now. Once you know more, trust me, you will know what to get.

That's the lens I have, and I'm really happy with it. I wanted the L series with IS, but couldn't afford it, and the IS was important enough that I felt like I was "settling" had I gone with L that didn't have it. So, I got this one, and will save for the L with IS. But in the mean I much more focal length AND the IS. And now that I've been using the lens with IS, I realize how much I would have regretted going without just to get the L.

My only complaint is how difficult it is to use a CPOF because of how the front element moves when focusing. But I'll live.

Most reactions

Back