Is it a good deal ?

cauzimme

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've found someone selling multiples photos equipments, he is closing his studio.
He have a barely used D3 1200 actualisations, a 35-70mm F2.8 and a 85mm f1.8 that interest me, he says 2000 for the 3, is it a good market deal ?

I know the D3 is a bit outdated, but it seems like a solid camera, plus i'm not shooting sports, or in really low light situation, so I'm not looking for incredible Iso pushing. I didn't want to purchase a Full frame yet, but at 2k with 2 lenses, it doesn't seems to bad.

So advices ?

With a bit of goggle it appears a quite OK offer, though nothing exciting.

The D3 is about 1000 - 1300$ now, I can find offers below 1000€ in a german forum (Reserviert/Verkauft/Erledigt Nikon D3 - DSLR-Forum, Reserviert/Verkauft/Erledigt Nikon D3 - DSLR-Forum). Right now 1€ = 1.08$.

The 35-70mm f2.8 is a popular low budget version of a f2.8 normal zoom, ~400$.

There is an AF and an AF-S version of the 85mm f1.8, which is ~300$ and ~450$, respectively.

The main advantage I see in full frame is btw:
1) you can use the abundance of all the Nikon lenses at their "real" focal length, while with DX you get into trouble at the wide end
2) more shallow depth of field

So advices ?
Considering the type of photography that you do, I would not recommend the deal.

The AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.8 G is a very good lens, and I think you should have one, but you can find them available used for around $450 US.

If you have cash to spend, I would recommend lights, modifiers, and lenses before that deal.

So advices ?
Considering the type of photography that you do, I would not recommend the deal.

The AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.8 G is a very good lens, and I think you should have one, but you can find them available used for around $450 US.

If you have cash to spend, I would recommend lights, modifiers, and lenses before that deal.

I found one from a wedding photographer who just updated to a 85mm 1.4 for 350 Canadian $.

The d3 is a gigantic (I'm talking size too) step up from the d90.
But for that money you could also find a nicely refurbished d750 that is much more modern and not quite as huge in size and get one of those lenses.

But for that money you could also find a nicely refurbished d750 that is much more modern and not quite as huge in size and get one of those lenses.
Yeah I already found there was a huge diferrence between the D300 and the D90 in size, I have baby hands. Xbox controlers are too big, hahaha.

Yeah I already found there was a huge diferrence between the D300 and the D90 in size, I have baby hands. Xbox controlers are too big, hahaha.
Nikon D3
1300g. 160 x 157 x 88 mm

D 90
703g. 132 x 103 x 77 mm

The D3 is roughly twice as heavy and twice as big.

The D300 DX crop camera you tried
925g. 147 x 114 x 74 mm

Nikon D750, which is a FullFrame FX body.
750g. 141 x 113 x 78 mm
about the same as your DX D90

Last edited:
Nikon D3
1300g. 160 x 157 x 88 mm

D 90
703g. 132 x 103 x 77 mm

The D3 is roughly twice as heavy and twice as big.

The D300 DX crop camera you tried
925g. 147 x 114 x 74 mm

Nikon D750, which is a FullFrame FX body.
750g. 141 x 113 x 78 mm
about the same as your DX D90

Okay I already found my d300 big, I wont like the D3 for sure.
I'll start looking for a D750, which is smaller than my d300 bigger than my d90, seems like a good middle size wise.

There is no need to panic!:boggled: Now this is very important........ Can you use a PS4 controller???:aiwebs_016:

A 85mm f1.8 would be great! :1219:

There is no need to panic!:boggled: Now this is very important........ Can you use a PS4 controller???:aiwebs_016:

Of course, I'm right now playing fallout 4, I haven't shower for 36hrs, only ate cold pizza, and slept for 5hrs... That's my kind of gaming, I'm a messs.

Of course, I'm right now playing fallout 4, I haven't shower for 36hrs, only ate cold pizza, and slept for 5hrs... That's my kind of gaming, I'm a messs.

I've never played that one, is it good?
I have played Uncharted 1 through 3 over five times!:biggrin-93: I can't wait to get Uncharted 4, but I only have a PS3. :048:
But every time I think of saving the money for a PS4, I think of all the great camera gear that money can get!:bouncingsmileys:

At least with a D3 you can shoot portrait style for 36 hours and not have twisted arms, but your muscles will hate you. I remember my sister said that moving from a D200 to a D700 years ago was enough of a step up in body size to be very noticeable for her. For what its worth, the D3 is slightly smaller in height than the D700 with grip.

Hard to believe there is a D3 in the world with under 100k exposures, I would believe if he said 120,000. With 1,200 it sounds to me like the shutter was replaced.

One of several discount periods is fast approaching--Christmas! Cross border shopping will be painful this season, so look out for Canadian Nikon deals over the holidays(start watching photoprice.ca). Unless you really need an FX camera(used D750s aren't exactly thick on the ground), new D7100 and D7200 bodies will likely be on sale(possibly at discounts equal to the late summer Nikon specials)along with lenses. Shops like Aden Camera in Toronto, along with Montreal stores you probably know, often sell for way less than others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back