Is it advisable for a poor high school student to get a film camera?

film will cost you more than digital. i'm just starting to learn how to shoot film. excited for the journey ahead!!! good luck on ur choice!

no, a film camera costs less up front then a comparable dSLR, but you get charged each frame you take for the film and developing.

i got a pentax k1000 with a 50mm prime lens for $40 that takes much better pictures then my $800 olympus evolt + pancake lens

i can find plenty of used lenses for my pentax for under $100 but good luck finding that for the olympus.

BUT every shot taken on my olympus is essentially free, while the photo store takes my money every time I take a shot with my pentax.

Of course, as other posters mentioned how you shoot your film helps determine costs too. Shoot expired b+w film you develop yourself and it'll take you a long time to have spent the same amount as a dslr.

Shoot E6 film you bought (and developed and framed) at a "camera shop" that specializes in gouging people like, say, Ritz Camera (not to be confused by a mom and pop camera shop run by people who care that might actually give you a good deal), and yes film will get very expensive very quickly

And might I add real film is interesting to shoot because it gives you a feel for where photography has come, and I think choosing to shoot film sometimes has made my digital photography better

Great advice Sbuxo, but Ronnie156 has left the building. (you can check by clicking on their name in red above their avatar and then clicking find other posts by...)

So anyway, have you found a dance hall or theater to borrow in their off hours?
:lmao: nahh, i haven't looked. I'm working full time now, probably in the fall I'll try.

Hi Ronnie,

The digital vs. 35mm debate is completely a style choice and you shouldn't listen to any "facts" stating one is really superior to the other.

Getting an inexpensive 35mm SLR is an excellent idea if the idea of darkroom action, chemistry and being a bit old school appeals to you. Darkrooms are some of my favorite places on earth, and if you live near a college or in a big city you can find places where you can rent them by the hour. You can also get the used equipment for a real bargain. I have a personal preference for 35mm. I simply think it is more beautiful.

The advatage of digital cannot be ignored and you can get good results on a regular, inexpensive digital camera. You cannot learn to work with different lenses though, so I would not call it a real "professional" learning situation. If you like the immediacy and digital editing options, then this might be the direction for you. Bear in mind that Photoshop sure isn't cheap and you will want to get it!

All in all, it's a personal call and, I assure you, both are very possible and within cost range if you are creative about it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back