Is it dust in my camera?

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok bare with me:

Today i wanted to use my camera and pointed it at something very bright, when i noticed while looking through the camra this small spot at the bottom. I took off the lense and cleaned it but the sucker is still there. I didnt dare to touch the sensor or do anythign else for that matter before i got an second opinion.
*edit*

I just put a different lense on and i can still see that spot on there and even another one in addition..geez..

If you can see it through the viewfinder it is probably dust. It will not show up in your image, because it's not on your sensor.

It may be dust sitting on your focus screen. If not then it's in your pentaprism and I would have to say ignore it. It's not cheap to get that cleaned.

Just curious - why can't he just take an air bulb and blow around inside the camera to get rid of whatever is in there?

take a few pictures of sky the sky or a white piece of paper and see if the spot is in the same spot every time if it is then you have dust or dirt on the sensor.

Because if the dust is behind the focusing mirror on the pentaprism then the air will probably not dislodge it, just move it around a bit into a potentially more annoying spot. If the dust is on the focusing mirror then by all means try it. Just remember:

a) be gentle and don't touch anything.
b) use a small air bulb, NEVER use compressed air it can easily dislodge something sensitive.
c) the longer you operate on the camera the more chance there is of dust entering it. This dust will likely be loose and next time you press the shutter button the dust will stick to the statically charged sensor and then you DO have a problem and will have to clean it.

Take off the lens. Look in. If you see the spec on the mirror or focus screen then blow it off. If not ignore it as it's probably not worth the hassle.

It's probably either on the mirror or near the top by the viewfinder....just leave it if it doesn't get in yoru photos...it might go away.

Ok bare with me:

Today i wanted to use my camera and pointed it at something very bright, when i noticed while looking through the camra this small spot at the bottom. I took off the lense and cleaned it but the sucker is still there. I didnt dare to touch the sensor or do anythign else for that matter before i got an second opinion.
*edit*

I just put a different lense on and i can still see that spot on there and even another one in addition..geez..

I had a canon rebel XT and I had the same problem. Weird thing is, the spot was not in all photos and was not with a certain lens or zoom area. I eventually had to send it in to Canon to have it cleaned. I purchased cleaning kit and tried that, did not work. Spot did print out in photos. If you seen it on screen than it was there. I now own a 30D which I hope I will have better luck at keeping the sensor clean.
Yes the cost to send it in to be cleaned is expensive. If it is still under warranty then they will cover it.
Good Luck
Live Life to its Fullest every day

if you are looking through the viewfinder and seeing it, unless you are just seeing dust inside the lens, it will not show up in your pictures because the sensor is covered until you are actually taking the picture.

So - spot on the mirror or focusing screen = you can see it but it wont show up in pictures.

spot inside of the lens on one of the elements - you can see it through the viewfinder and it will show up when using high F stops (f/22).

Spot on the sensor - you will not be able to see it until you look closely at the picture - more evident with higher F stop.

Most reactions

Back