Is it just me or is it this web site?

bratkinson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As a 'regular' on this web site for over a year, I have always been slightly annoyed with the slow 'first screen' that doesn't run the internal script that allows the password to be input as 'protected' characters until dead last. I've learned that when I logon from the slower computers and network at work, I have to wait perhaps 3-5 seconds until the last 'info box' is displayed at the bottom of the screen before I can securely enter my password. Although entering it early and having it displayed for all to see is not a problem, this site then considers it as an invalid password, since it didn't go through the 'normal' processing necessary.

I can live with that. Annoying, yes. Tolerable, yes.

But, of late, perhaps the past 3-4 weeks, I have repeatedly been 'blown off' the site by simply going to the next screen, whether it be the next page of a multi-page thread, another thread, or even back to the forum 'main page' of all the forums available. Usually, it's the old 'server unavailable' message or something like that. This happens regardless of where I logon...home on any of 3 computers, or at work, on any of 3 of their computers. So it definitely appears to be a TPF server issue.

During the same 3-4 weeks, while entering a fairly lengthy response to a forum post, I get to the very bottom and click 'submit' and the entire thing simply 'locks up'. After waiting 30 seconds or longer, I have no choice but to give it the 3-finger salute and terminate Internet Explorer 8, at work and home. This has happened 4-5 times and and is quickly reaching my 'safety valve' explosion point where I will have 'had enough' and will say 'adios' to The Photo Forum permanently.

Has anyone else had these problems? Is it Windows XP SP3 on 4 computers, Windows 7 SP1 on the other 2? IE8?

Any suggestions?

How often do you restart your computer? I've found if I don't for a while, things start to slow down. Then I not only reboot the computer, but my wireless router as well.

I haven't seen any notable changes in that time period.

I've pretty much given up on IE, and mostly use Chrome now.

I run CCleaner daily and have my browsers set to delete cookies and history whenever I close them.

I perform computer maintenance on a routine schedule - defrag, clean disk, dump temp internet files, pull the cover off and clean out all the dust, etc.

I don't have any of these issues either. I use Firefox or Chrome, never IE anymore. I was ready to blame this on your work network; they tend to bog everything down especially sites like these; but you are saying you experience this wherever you log in. I'd try what's been suggested above (you should always turn computers off anyway) as well as regularly deleting cookies, dumping those temp files,etc. If none of these actions are being performed on any of the computers you use, they probably could use it. Plus, IE isn't the best browser for TPF, so it may be a bit squirrely for you even after a good clean-up.

I've been a computer techie since 1967. Mainframes mostly, but I've built and maintained 80 or so computers through the years, including all of my home computers since the first 386 hit the street. I also run a very 'tight ship' at home. I routinely dig through the hundreds of startup modules that few have ever heard of and shut the unnecessary services down. Cleaning out Windows internal folders of unneeded trash is my specialty, as well. I also keep IE 'tight' with very restrictive security settings, etc.

Recently, I've encountered some network problems at home and at present, have the modem directly connected to the computer, pending replacement of my router. Even with the direct connect, I succeeded in 'freezing' TPF when I went in to make a minor edit to the original post about 5 minutes later.

Many thanks to those who replied. It's likely IE8 problems. With the non-stop fixes Microsoft keeps coming out with, I know it must be bug-city. I've tried both Firefox and Chrome. I found I 'lost' more than I gained by using those browsers. FWIW, I was most happy with Netscape, eons ago. Also, having one browser at work and a different one at home gets quite confusing after knowing shortcuts, where to click, etc. But since the problems are happening at both locations, and multiple computers at each, I guess I'm forever 'stuck' with the IE8 disease.

hee hee! I remember using Netscape, many moons ago. :) Well, I'm sorry we don't have a magic button for you. More than likely it's IE. But I agree that it's a nuisance and it would annoy me, too! I hope you stick with us despite the aggravation.

IE 8?

Aren't they on 10 now?

Maybe that's your problem?

I've learned from the mistakes of my own as well as others the "cost" of not going with the 'mainstream' of things. My early interactive mainframe computer work was with such non-giants of the day such as CDC and Burroughs. It was catch-up time in 1975 to get back to IBM, TSO and CICS, but I did it. I made very good money in the IBM world. Very good money. In the PC world I started with Lotus 1-2-3 v1.0 and it's later versions, a strong DOS-based word processor, now long gone, and even Word Perfect...remember that one? Once Microsoft largely bought out and killed the competition, I've been forced to learning their products from early on. Office 2010 is STILL a major kick in the face for me and anyone that wants to get something done quickly. Unfortunately, most large companies all run on Microsoft platforms. So, as a result, so do I. So, I'm condemned to IE8 for a while.

And why not IE9? As one who learned the hard way of being on the 'bleeding edge' of PC hardware and software, I have since gone back to my former IBM mainframe systems programmer days...wait until the point 6 (x.6) version of the operating system is released before installing it. For Windows, at least SP1 before I install...

Most reactions

Back