Is It Just my D40 or me?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tkaat, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    :confused:

So the light meter isn't connected to a computer?

And together they don't meter a scene and set the aperture and/or shutter?

And there aren't different types and numbers of sensors/sensor points that work better or worse than another?

Hmm interesting... I think I'm going to call BS on that. :p

2. tkaat

tkaat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Soo it isn't only me :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tip for seeing the RGB histogram never knew I could do that

I thought there was more than 1 type of internal metering also :meh:

3. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yup, there are usually a given number of sensor points that an on-board computer can use. It can use any one, combination, or all of them to average, bias (weight), or individually process for different types of "internal metering". On top of that each sensor point can be a different kind of sensor. What kinds are used where in the D40 you can find out by reading but the metering and results are only as good as the sensors and computer program that is processing the data. KS Matt Fish would be more correct if we were still back in ancient analogue times though. And he's fairly correct if we're talking about using your camera in full manual mode. ;)

Does the D40 even have full manual? :lol: j/k

4. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I doubt it. The sensor has nothing to do with metering or focusing.

Har har, of course it does.

I'm not sure what the case is specifically with the D40, but light meters can certainly run without batteries -- they use the light they metering for to draw power from.

5. tkaat

tkaat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    umm :( no the D40 doesn't because in manual the camera automatically adjusts the EV:madmad: (unless you know some way if turning off the auto EV :grumpy:)
    or is it just my D40 again :D

6. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    A case of misunderstanding I think. The EV is "Exposure Value" and when in Aperture or Shutter priority modes, you are able to change your exposure by increasing or decreasing the EV (otherwise known as Exposure Compensation).

In Manual, there is no compensation. The EV will display differently depending on the aperture and shutter settings you provide. It is merely displaying the exposure based on your A and S settings.

You want to set your aperture and shutter so that the EV meter is centered. If you want compensation such as when in Av or Tv mode, you change your settings in manual mode to reflect that compensation on the EV meter.

7. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, you might want to go to full manual, not A or S "manual" which is still a sense of auto adjusting. And ksmattfish is correct, that your camera meter does not give you perfect exposure. It gives you what 18% gray would be. It is up to the SHOOTER to determine from there what to do with that info... if you are shooting someone against a white wall, and meter the entire scene, do you think your camera is going to give you accurate exposure? Of course not. (*specifically if you are matrix metering the scene). It will be up to you to correctly change the exposure.
    This poster specifically said that he is trying to auto focus in low light and having problems. Most cameras do, it is not a camera problem, but rather an APPROPRIATE level of light problem.

8. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It seems that you don't quite understand what exposure compensation is. Exposure compensation adjusts the shutter, aperture, or both, depending on what mode you're in. If your in P, it adjusts both. A, it adjusts shutter. S, it adjusts aperture. In M, the shutter and aperture settings are completely up to you, so exposure compensation is meaningless in this mode.

9. tkaat

tkaat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

:blushing: