Is It Just my D40 or me?

i have never had issues with my D40x - but I guess different sensor, so maybe different metering/focusing?
I doubt it. The sensor has nothing to do with metering or focusing.

Does the D40 even have full manual?
Har har, of course it does.

So the light meter isn't connected to a computer
I'm not sure what the case is specifically with the D40, but light meters can certainly run without batteries -- they use the light they metering for to draw power from.

umm :( no the D40 doesn't because in manual the camera automatically adjusts the EV:madmad: (unless you know some way if turning off the auto EV :grumpy:)
or is it just my D40 again :D

umm :( no the D40 doesn't because in manual the camera automatically adjusts the EV:madmad: (unless you know some way if turning off the auto EV :grumpy:)
or is it just my D40 again :D
A case of misunderstanding I think. The EV is "Exposure Value" and when in Aperture or Shutter priority modes, you are able to change your exposure by increasing or decreasing the EV (otherwise known as Exposure Compensation).

In Manual, there is no compensation. The EV will display differently depending on the aperture and shutter settings you provide. It is merely displaying the exposure based on your A and S settings.

You want to set your aperture and shutter so that the EV meter is centered. If you want compensation such as when in Av or Tv mode, you change your settings in manual mode to reflect that compensation on the EV meter.

Yes, you might want to go to full manual, not A or S "manual" which is still a sense of auto adjusting. And ksmattfish is correct, that your camera meter does not give you perfect exposure. It gives you what 18% gray would be. It is up to the SHOOTER to determine from there what to do with that info... if you are shooting someone against a white wall, and meter the entire scene, do you think your camera is going to give you accurate exposure? Of course not. (*specifically if you are matrix metering the scene). It will be up to you to correctly change the exposure.
This poster specifically said that he is trying to auto focus in low light and having problems. Most cameras do, it is not a camera problem, but rather an APPROPRIATE level of light problem.

or is it just my D40 again

It seems that you don't quite understand what exposure compensation is. Exposure compensation adjusts the shutter, aperture, or both, depending on what mode you're in. If your in P, it adjusts both. A, it adjusts shutter. S, it adjusts aperture. In M, the shutter and aperture settings are completely up to you, so exposure compensation is meaningless in this mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back