Is it legal for somebody to do this?

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that once you take a picture, it's automatically copy-written by you. Well, if you don't give somebody the permission to "edit" pictures you've taken, and they do, could they get in trouble for this? I've had a couple people edit my pictures, and honestly, it made me mad. It was kind of a slap in the face. I took my time and put it into those pictures..And there they are putting stupid little boarders around them and stuff. Really?

Has anyone done this to you? Is this "legal"?

Not that I would take this anywhere (like court), but what would you do in a situation like this?

I feel your pain!
But at time, I try to look at it from another perspective, they love your work so much that want to try to mimic it :)

Well, you may want to change your settings.

Right now it says "My Photos Are OK to Edit" right underneath your baby picture.............

I don't care if people edit them on here, that's fine..Because it's more of a learning experience for me on here..

It's just people I do pictures for..They want to mess with them.

What should I do then? Sell them prints?

what exactly are they doing to them?
Do you have them sign a contract? I have in my contract they are not to alter the image in any way besides cropping for printing purposes.

You could add a statement about not editing your photos in your contract. You could also offer more services for mounting and framing, maybe create some products that people would rather buy, than spend time editing your work to get a crappier end product.

/straightface/
A border? That's completely unreasonable. :x You put a lot of time and effort into those shots and they have no right to deface them. Unless you gave them all rights to them, which I'm guessing you didn't.

Anyway, I'd tell them to knock that **** right the **** off.

A border? :twak:

Seriously, if you're giving them digitals, you can't do much. Try prints and/or a contract.

Last edited:
I know that once you take a picture, it's automatically copy-written by you. Well, if you don't give somebody the permission to "edit" pictures you've taken, and they do, could they get in trouble for this? I've had a couple people edit my pictures, and honestly, it made me mad. It was kind of a slap in the face. I took my time and put it into those pictures..And there they are putting stupid little boarders around them and stuff. Really?

Has anyone done this to you? Is this "legal"?

Not that I would take this anywhere (like court), but what would you do in a situation like this?

They can not legally edit your work unless if falls under "fair use" (fair use is used to protect ppl who make parodies(it is a defence not a law))

If they do edit your copy right material it is considered a derivative work and is a variation of the copyright

stop giving the digital files, problem solved.

I hope this wasn't one of those, "for $xx.xx you get a session and a disc of edited prints." I hate that crap.

I think you've taken this too far. Saying they can't put a border on it is like saying what kind of frame it has to go in.
Just curious, how do you know that they have done this.

When they screw up the original digital files enough to need more, charge them for additional copies.

I doubt that hardly anyone really cares about your photos. Apparently this/that one did care.

I take wedding photos and give access to all of them - about 2000-2500 per wedding - to anyone who wants to give me their email.
I got a photo Christmas card from the Bride and groom that they also sent to who knows how many people and it had your "And there they are putting stupid little boarders around them and stuff. Really?"

I did not care one bit that they put a border on my photo and then bragged how cool the photo was. I was compensated for the wedding and it is done and over with. What they did do however is advertise for me for free.

I doubt that hardly anyone really cares about your photos. Apparently this/that one did care.

I take wedding photos and give access to all of them - about 2000-2500 per wedding - to anyone who wants to give me their email.
I got a photo Christmas card from the Bride and groom that they also sent to who knows how many people and it had your "And there they are putting stupid little boarders around them and stuff. Really?"

I did not care one bit that they put a border on my photo and then bragged how cool the photo was. I was compensated for the wedding and it is done and over with. What they did do however is advertise for me for free.

stop giving the digital files, problem solved.

I hope this wasn't one of those, "for $xx.xx you get a session and a disc of edited prints." I hate that crap.

Why do you hate that?

Because, where I am from that is what MWAC do. They do not have a legitimate printing company to process their work. Case in point, you charge upwards of $2k for a wedding and then the clients are left to print their photos at the local drug store. I don't want my work being advertised on drug store, ink jet prints.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back