Is it okay to use studio pro lights for a wedding inside a catholic church.

Someones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it okay to use studio pro lights for a wedding inside a catholic church????????????? Crowed will be disturbed by lights or what so does the father there, or else I will have to shoot with speed lights :)
Thanks much.

They're not going to allow it. I have never once shot in a Catholic church that allows any type of flash during the ceremony and many to most of them get REALLY strict on where you can be and where you can't be, if you can move...

You need to go to the church and find out their regulations before hand, but I am pretty sure the flash "law" is pretty universal for them.

The only way you will know, is if you ask them, not us.

I've used studio lights inside a catholic church during a wedding.

I would be really surprised if they allowed it.

thanks much brother :) it helps

The only way you will know, is if you ask them, not us.

I've used studio lights inside a catholic church during a wedding.

bigthumb.gif

Been a long time since I've shot weddings, but from what I recall, being able to use flash during the ceremony was usually up to the officiating priest. Of course I made sure I asked beforehand. Sometimes it was OK to use flash anytime except for the actual exchanging of the vows, other times it was whenever you wanted.

I recall at one wedding I was standing off to the side of the wedding party, trying to be unobstrusive when the priest motioned to me to come over closer. I did, but it was unsual to be right up there with the wedding party! They're all different.

The worst is when you ask and they tell you not to use flash, but then every guest is popping the flash on their P&S cameras the whole time.

The worst is when you ask and they tell you not to use flash, but then every guest is popping the flash on their P&S cameras the whole time.
I've been to one of those where the clergy first actually asked the guests to not use flash photography during the ceremony. He was very personable and polite about it.
Then when someone did (repeatedly) he stopped the whole wedding to address the guest in a firm manner telling him that the next flash he would ask him to leave. Were I the bride and groom I probably would have been mortified and maybe even a little miffed that he made a big scene during the ceremony with one of their guests like that.
Now the clergy side? Can't blame him. He did ask very politely and handled it well in the before moments.

I did one wedding where they didn't want ANY photographs taken in the church.

I haven't gotten the NO images in the church, but I did have one MUCHO (relic of centuries gone by) older clergy (Catholic church) who was NOT happy to have any photographs taken during the ceremony at all and relegated me to the balcony which I am pretty sure was placed in the next state. He was a nasty old man in general. Nasty to the bride and groom, nasty to the family... Rude and very imperious. I couldn't believe the couple had been seeing him for the pre-marriage counseling and still went through a ceremony with him. The bride was NOT the type to put up with that! And it wasn't their home church, so it wasn't like he was a member of their church family.

Address the issue with the person officiating the wedding and the bride ande groom. You can let them understand that it will make a difference in the quality of photos (especially in a very dark church) and they'll have to decide whether or not that's acceptable and work something out with the person handling the ceremony. If they want to photos but their priest/minister/rabbi/yogi/whatever wants to outlaw flash photography then they either live with it or get married somewhere else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back