Is it possible to learn on my own????

cinphoto24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to photography... My father in law gave me his old Nikon D80. I tried to read the books on it and i'm trying to understand the whole ISO, shutter speed, lenses and all the goodies that go with photography.
I've been used to my little Canon snap and shoot ;( So now I'm lost!
Do most people take classes or do most people learn on their own. I thought this was going to be easy but it's not so much. I can't even figure out why my pictures were coming out blurry or dark!!

Not sure what I should do... I'm ruining some good photo opportunities!

I'm new to photography... My father in law gave me his old Nikon D80. I tried to read the books on it and i'm trying to understand the whole ISO, shutter speed, lenses and all the goodies that go with photography.
Do most people take classes or do most people learn on their own. I thought this was going to be easy but it's not so much. I can't even figure out why my pictures were coming out blurry or dark!!

Priceless! :)

Seriously though, buy this book and read it.
Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (9780817463007): Bryan Peterson: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Priceless! :)

Seriously though, buy this book and read it.
Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (9780817463007): Bryan Peterson: Books

This +1. Best book I have read so far on Photography and it was my first. Very very easy to understand. Take your camera, that book and your camera's owner's manual if you have one, go out back of your house and as the book talks about things pick up your camera and look at it, feel it, try the same things Bryan is talking about. I think it will be very helpful for you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I plan on trying to learn by myself because I'm mostly going to do it as just a hobby, but I want to read books too and watch youtube videos and, of course, ask questions on here :)

It IS possible to learn on your own. I did. Although, if you choose this route be advised that it will take a LOT longer. I learned by constantly asking questions...what does ISO mean... I would look it up in the manual & then on the internet, why is this blurry, or pixilated etc. It took me a good year to figure out how to make a nice exposure in Manual mode (although, I was working on a crap camera at the time & was only curious about photography). I am only now (after about 4 years) starting to feel like my photos reflect what I was attempting to capture... and I am still nowhere near where I would like to be. So the short answer is Yes you CAN learn on your own. BUT if you invest in education you will NOT regret it! :)

I'd recommend finding a class from a photo club in your area, rather than schooling, to learn your camera and get the basics of exposure down. Or do a lot of reading on the Internet. For instance, do avsearch for "exposure" triangle and read several sites. Some may explain things in a manner that will click with you, while others may not.

Your local library has MANY books about photography. The Kodak corporation published many,many titles aimed at teaching people how to take photos. Photography's exposure basics have remained unchanged now that we are in the digital camera era. Flash photography techniques, composition, light and lighting, and "getting good pictures" are basically timeless, mostly unchanging endeavors. I'd suggest going to the library and looking through the photography how-to section. There will surely be a book or two or three that will be able to give you basically a short course in photography.

Purty much ebbything I knows 'bout fotografficing I lurnt by meself..... un dat wuz a long time befour this innernets come along.

Being pretty new to photography myself ( about 2.5 years, I guess thats still considered new ) I would say that you have gotten some good advice. I have had photography classes and I can honestly say that, as much as they might teach you, it's still doesn't come close to what you will learn by doing. Trial and error. Buy the book, it'll be one of the best investments you'll make. I have an old copy of "Understanding Exposure" and can't tell you how many times I have read it picking up something different everything.

Hi I am also a newcomer to the DSLR scene. I am now retired (Engineer), living in Sydney, Australia. I have had a Canon PowerShot S50 for family snaps etc since 2003, and now with lots of free time I intend to learn the more finer points of digital photography. After reading through this forum I have just ordered the Bryan Petersen book mentioned above. What I am really seeking is some guidance as to a suitable camera to purchase. I have a healthy budget so price is not a real issue, and having used a Canon camera for a few years have looked at a few of their DSLR units, including the 60d. I will welcome any assistance that is on offer, and I am very pleased that I happened across this site, already on my way to learning more about photography, and how to keep from under my partners feet!

Youtube videos are a huge help. Between the photoshop tutorials and the endless vids on how to shoot any subject, you can easily teach yourself.

Absolutely it is possible but you might grow slower than ones who get help from others. Learning alone you have to play the role as teacher and student. This slows things down a little.
People here are right the library and youtube are your friends. The problem with your situation is its hard to know what to study if you dont know what there is to study. I didnt know what a histogram was until i came on this thread.
You need to read up on the exposure triangle as well as read your manual. Your pictures are blurry because youre camera is focused on something else, shutter speed is too slow, lens is dirty, sensor has a smudge. Read up on the exposure triangle and you'll end up with one of those eureka moments. Also take constructive criticism and learn from it. You'll one day go back to your first picture and think wtf was I doing.

Last edited:
Shoot and ask questions. Thats what I did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back