Is it really that hard to develop c-41

TarterTurtle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, I am thinking ahead to when I will need to get my film developed, and I am thinking about doing it at home, but I heard that c-41 is kind of hard to do at home because of the temperature control, and I was wondering if it really is that hard, and if it would be recommended to do it at home, also I was wondering if there was some sort of Caffinol that would develop in color,
Thank
-Nathan

It's been a few decades since I souped C-41, but back when I did consistent temperature was paramount. Otherwise, I'd spend endless hours getting multiple rolls from the same shoot to 'look alike' on paper.

I am not even sure that it pencils out economically to develop fewer than 15 rolls at a time. I don't know what the c-41 chemistry cost in these days, but I doubt you can approach the reasonable developing costs provided by hundreds of labs across America.

I have used this kit https://www.adorama.com/cs800341.html. A few times, and it is pretty easy to maintain the temps. I've gotten great results with it .
img908.jpg
img917.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I am not even sure that it pencils out economically to develop fewer than 15 rolls at a time. I don't know what the c-41 chemistry cost in these days, but I doubt you can approach the reasonable developing costs provided by hundreds of labs across America.

Just make sure you get the actual negs back. Many labs are going to soup/scan/destroy. They process the film, digitize the negs, then destroy the film and you end up with low-resolution scans.

I was wondering if there was some sort of Caffinol that would develop in color,

You can develop color film with Caffenol (or any other B&W developer) but you will only get a B&W negative.

I kind of think you should start your film Journey shooting color slide film, which is a color positive. You can use a smartphone and a macro lens attachment or a digital camera to snap a photo of the picture, and in that way get a digitized image for use on social media or on the web. Black and white negative film is easy to shoot and develop but of course it is a negative image, however it is quite easy to invert and make into a positive using even basic software that is provided with many editing applications.

100 foot long rolls of bulk black and white film and a 25-pack of reloadable 35 mm cartridges would be my suggestion. You of course need a bulk film loader. This loader holds the film. You load the 100 foot roll into the bulk loader, then you disassemble each cartridge and using a piece of tape tape the film to the spool, and then slip the spool into the cartridge housing, and then replace the removable end cap and then slip the cartridge into the film loader, close the door, open the light trap door, and then crank in 12 or 20 or 24 or 36 exposures, then close the light trap door, open the main door, and snip the film. You then cut a leader tongue on to the end of the film, and you have a bulk-loaded roll of film !

If you have enough cartridges to roll 100 feet of film into individual rolls, then you only need one bulk loader. I forget but I think it is roughly 18 rolls or 19 rolls of 36 exposures per 100 feet of film. The last time I bulk loaded, Ronald Reagan was President, so it was probably around 1987.

I have never done C-41 manually but I've worked in photo labs with C-41 processors since 1985 so I never had too. Currently at the lab I work at we use a control strip monitored Noritsu V-50 C-41 for perfect development every time. And YES....we give you your negatives back......cause they are yours after all.......LOL

I really think if you want to shoot color negative film, that you should send your film to a lab for developing. If you shoot color slide film the film costs more, but there is no need for a print to be made. The last I checked, color slide film was mostly what is called E6 processing.

Yes, but it looks like if you do it at home, some of the shots develop upside down!!! That could be a real problem when viewing them!.........

ALL cameras create images that are upside-down. :048:

It requires a Penta prism to view properly!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back