Is it "safe" to get a d600 from KEH?

I like love my D750. It is larger (and heavier) than the D40 but I can't compare it to anything else. Also, the placement of the function and DoF preview buttons haven't been an issue for me, though I rarely have to shoot without looking down at the body first.
Thanks for adding in your expierence @snowbear! Its more than I was really wanting to spend, but its feature set is pretty sweet!
I used to use the tilt-y screen on my New-7 all the time, and thats one feature I do miss!

I bought a used D 800 about three weeks ago for $795 from a Portland, Oregon photo store. I own a D610 as well. The performance of the D800 outstrips the D610 in every single way. I would not even consider a D600 these days. Funny typos due to speech to text (*typos have been edited out). I don't find the grip size on the D800 much bigger than the D610, and I think the D800 fits the human hand far better.

Last edited:
I bought a used D 800 about three weeks ago for $795 for make Portland, Oregon photo store. I own a D6 10. The performance of the D8 hundred outstrips the D6 10 in every single way. I would not even consider a D6 hundred these days. Funny typos due to speech to text. I don't find the grip size on the D 800 much bigger than the D6 10, and I think the D 800 fits the human hand far better
Thanks so much Derrel! I always fine you're experienced perspective quite enlightening.

I've certainly got some pondering to do now.

Pick them both up, you'll know then.

AFAIK Nikon will replace any oil issue on the d600 and if it needs it twice will supply a d610. Now don't take my word for it.

I have the d610 and like it, never had focus issue with newer lenses but I know from feel the d7200 I have is more confident when it comes to focus, the d610 likes light, the d7200 almost sees in the dark (similar based af system to the higher end models). If the d800 doesn't overwhelm with it's size it will be better for low light wedding stuff no doubt

Based on size alone, I've noticed a difference in all the models.
I know many don't think the D8xx series isn't big, but I do.

I've handled them all at BestBuy side by side. I love the features of the D8xx series.
I also loved the D500 though it was BIG. Yes, not much bigger than the D750, which is bigger than the D6x0 but still very noticeable for my small hands.

With the small cameras D3x00 / d5x00 with the kit lens the weight/size allow you to hold it just holding the body. As you add a larger lens then you change your handling. With the larger cameras you have to balance the weight with one hand on the lens and one on the body, at least for my smaller hands.

If there is a store anywhere near you I recommend you go handle the cameras in your own hands.

With Mirrorless it all comes down to finding one that fits your specifications, which includes size (which they're all smaller than the larger DSLRs). You may want to handle a D5600 which is tiny by comparison and on par with a mirrorless though with a DSLR grip.

FYI, most women's rings are BIG on my fingers.

I buy and return things with KEH all the time. I'm sure they're sick of my crap. I live in Atlanta, so KEH is not only great in prices but also convenient.

They now have a 365 warranty on used items. You can't beat that.

As a note. If you did return things with them, the process is lengthy compared to other companies. Once it arrives at their warehouse, it waits in queue for the return to be processed. Once processed, the funds find the longest route back to your bank. I've personally experience 7 days amd 10 days turnaround time after their front desk receives your return. Exchanges take even longer.

you may like the size/handling of a D750 better than even the D610.

it's nearly the same size -- actually slightly smaller and lighter. The grip imho looks better:

Nikon-D750-vs-Nikon-D600-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

the D800 looks pretty bulky in comparison:

Nikon-D750-vs-Nikon-D800-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

The used prices on the D750 are getting much swallowable.

you may like the size/handling of a D750 better than even the D610.

it's nearly the same size -- actually slightly smaller and lighter. The grip imho looks better:

Nikon-D750-vs-Nikon-D600-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

the D800 looks pretty bulky in comparison:

Nikon-D750-vs-Nikon-D800-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

The used prices on the D750 are getting much swallowable.
Actually your correct on that. I had some posts in the distant past about the grips.
The D750 grip design allows the fingers better holding power with the palm than the d600 did. The palm is a slow curve then a quick drop for the fingers. Versus a more consistent arc symmetry.

It's a minor feeling but definitely better overall. I have a chart somewhere I scribbled together in excel of how I like the grips of the D5500, D7000, 7100, 7200, D500, D600, D700, D750, D800. but it was based on personal choice based on my hands/fingers.

you'll also notice the D750 is a thinner camera which is good for the back part of the palm and thumb. It becomes obvious once you notice the shoulder LCD is a "2 line" setup versus a 3 line setup on the d7x00, d6x0, d8x0.

Last edited:
I think a visit to camera store would be wise. I have the exact opposite problem, 10" hands and I really have to put one in my hands to see what it feels like. Funny thing is, the Fujifilm XT2 with the battery grip is very comfortable for me to use, as is the XPro2 without one. The XPro2 is really small but oddly enough, it's not really the size but more of the design. As far as film, I think the same applies and yes, film could be a backup, after all, it's a camera.

When I was shooting Nikon DSLR's I went from a D3300 to a D7200 and what a ergonomic upgrade that was. Unfortunately, I had issues with the D7200 and gave up on the system all together except for my Nikon FM film camera.

@jcdeboever @astroNikon : I know the logical, wise and incredibly sane thing to do here would be to go in a store and try them out. Unfortunately, I possess none of those qualities, :biglaugh:Not to mention the fact that my ability to function as a human seems to shut down every time I enter anywhere with fluorescent lighting, and add in the extra shoppers that come with the holiday season and in-person-shopping quickly becomes synonymous with hell. DH keeps saying I just need to take an anxiolytic before I go, but Im pretty sure that would impair my good judgement too.

In other words- I think its a craps shoot either way.

@jcdeboever - I'm sorry you had a poor experience with the d7200. I was looking at those for a bit too, before I decided another FF was the way to go. I think I am too invested in nikon (and LOVE my DF) to switch to fuji. It would probably be a cheaper investment to just get another DF rather than switch brands again. I get that ergonomics are incredibly personal. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me today. :)

@astroNikon, Thank you for chiming in! It is extremely helpful to gain some perspective from someone with a smaller frame. That excel chart you made sounds super interesting! I don't remember having issues holding my XSI years ago, but I didn't use m/any of the features either.

@IronMaskDuval That is quite a return process! I will keep that in mind moving forward. I still have not heard from KEH on the subject anyways. Thank you for sharing your experience with them.

@Braineack I've been spending quite a bit of time on CameraSize.com comparing models, but its pretty helpful to see all 4 at once instead of only 2 at a time. Thanks for adding in the visual! You're right, the grip on the d750 does look more petite, and its got that tilt-y screen! It is looking like a pretty good option at the moment. I agree with you on the pricing. There seems to be a decent sale on it right now as well, the new price is currently the same as the d610's new.

yeah -- like I said I almost pulled the trigger on the d750 + grip. it's great deal considering how great the camera is.

but I spent the "savings" on a flashpoint xplor 600 :p which reminds me I need to sell off a bunch of flash stuff now -- going to convert 100% to the R2 system.

yeah -- like I said I almost pulled the trigger on the d750 + grip. it's great deal considering how great the camera is.

but I spent the "savings" on a flashpoint xplor 600 :p which reminds me I need to sell off a bunch of flash stuff now -- going to convert 100% to the R2 system.
Ohh! Sounds like a fun new gadget to enjoy!! Im looking forward to seeing what you create with it. :) I could get a used d600 and use my "savings" on the petzval lens Ive been wanting for years now, but manual focus scares me. :ambivalence:

I think a visit to camera store would be wise. I have the exact opposite problem, 10" hands and I really have to put one in my hands to see what it feels like. Funny thing is, the Fujifilm XT2 with the battery grip is very comfortable for me to use, as is the XPro2 without one. The XPro2 is really small but oddly enough, it's not really the size but more of the design. As far as film, I think the same applies and yes, film could be a backup, after all, it's a camera.

When I was shooting Nikon DSLR's I went from a D3300 to a D7200 and what a ergonomic upgrade that was. Unfortunately, I had issues with the D7200 and gave up on the system all together except for my Nikon FM film camera.
My local BestBuy STILL does not have the X-T2 camera on display. The display has been empty since they pulled off the X-T1 !!

My local BestBuy STILL does not have the X-T2 camera on display. The display has been empty since they pulled off the X-T1 !!
The nerve of them. I'll let you hold mine in the near future.

Sent from my [device_name] using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back