Is it safe to use aftermarket battery?

lv6l

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D80. I don't know the average pictures this battery can take but it seems like it runs out quick compare to my D40. I got about 250 pictures and its a little more than halfway drain. This is a brand new battery that came with the camera also. I don't know did I got a defected one or thats how it is. But my main question is can I buy a battery off eBay and use it for my D80? Not made by Nikon. has anyone tried these? If the battery is overcharge and the voltage is higher then the Nikon battery will it ruin my camera? Thanks in advance.

I think you'll be fine with after market batteries.

I use a 350D, I have the original Canon battery and a "Digipower" brand one. I can't tell the difference. They both seem to last as long as the other.

As long as the voltage is the same (it should say what the voltage is on the battery) I think you're good to go.

Oh I see. yeah I'll make sure the voltage on the battery is the same as the original. Its just I've bought a couple of after market batteries made by china and it says it has a certain voltage but when left in the charger too long the voltage will go higher then rated. I ruin a couple of flashlight this way.

Have you tried leaving the "digipower" brand one in for a while like a couple days after it's finish charging. Sorry for all the questions its just china always does whatever it takes to make a buck and it bugs me that they are ruining people's things out there. I just want to be sure before I use it.

Have you tried leaving the "digipower" brand one in for a while like a couple days after it's finish charging. Sorry for all the questions its just china always does whatever it takes to make a buck and it bugs me that they are ruining people's things out there. I just want to be sure before I use it.
Yeah, sometimes I forget to take the battery (either one of them) out of the charger right away. I have not noticed any adverse affects.

With the Canon charger there's a light...red means charging, green means done. Sometimes it seems like it only takes 5 minutes for the light to change (even on a dead battery), so I usually leave it in longer than I'm supposed to (I don't trust the light). Haven't had any battery related problems yet.

...My LCD did die a month or two ago... I doubt that's battery related, but I guess it's possible, unlikely though.

I'd just stick with the regular Nikon batteries. If you're using a lot of flash or using the LCD for image review a lot, and don't do a lot of shooting all at once, then 250 shots on a charge might not be out of the ordinary. Also, as I recall the battery life will get a bit better once you cycle it a few times.

Dang 10.99 for "twice" the power?!?! for the NB-2LH

is it safe to use nikon's charger to charge sterlingtek's battery?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back