What's new

Is it the Arperture.. ?

It is NOT just the white balance. Yes, white balance was off, but the picture is horribly underexposed. I don't know what the camera uses for it's metering mode when in auto (never used auto), but I'm guessing that it uses matrix metering. When shooting snow and matrix metering, the camera is going to end up trying to expose the snow which will underexpose your subject. Put it into spot or center weighted metering and put white balance on auto (my D90 does great on auto wb outdoors so yours should too). Do those steps and reshoot....see where you come at.
Ahh yes, good catch.
I had assumed the OP was concerned about the colors in the photo first and foremost and neglected to mention all the things wrong with the photo, but mentioned the fact shooting in raw would give her the ability to correct such mistakes in the future.
 
thanks very much.. you would not believe how much i have learned from this thread thanks to you all... now to put it into action...
 
It is NOT just the white balance. Yes, white balance was off, but the picture is horribly underexposed. I don't know what the camera uses for it's metering mode when in auto (never used auto), but I'm guessing that it uses matrix metering. When shooting snow and matrix metering, the camera is going to end up trying to expose the snow which will underexpose your subject. Put it into spot or center weighted metering and put white balance on auto (my D90 does great on auto wb outdoors so yours should too). Do those steps and reshoot....see where you come at.
Ahh yes, good catch.
I had assumed the OP was concerned about the colors in the photo first and foremost and neglected to mention all the things wrong with the photo, but mentioned the fact shooting in raw would give her the ability to correct such mistakes in the future.
Is the fine Raw the better one to choose...
 
Well, You want RAW and Large more often then not. You can shoot Large Raw+ Fine, which will save a JPEG and raw file, but that's just a waste of space.
 
Hm... I don't have my camera in front of me, but I think that RAW Fine will give you a RAW file and a .JPG file...

Personally, the only time I shoot RAW+.JPG is when I'm on vacation and am keeping a photo-blog of the trip and need to upload pics right away without doing any post on them. Lightroom, however, has simplified the process to the point that I just shoot RAW and can do quick little tweaks to the pics I need and export them to .jpg very quickly and efficiently.
 
Well, You want RAW and Large more often then not. You can shoot Large Raw+ Fine, which will save a JPEG and raw file, but that's just a waste of space.
okay thanks.. i appreciate all your help very much..
 
Hm... I don't have my camera in front of me, but I think that RAW Fine will give you a RAW file and a .JPG file...

Personally, the only time I shoot RAW+.JPG is when I'm on vacation and am keeping a photo-blog of the trip and need to upload pics right away without doing any post on them. Lightroom, however, has simplified the process to the point that I just shoot RAW and can do quick little tweaks to the pics I need and export them to .jpg very quickly and efficiently.
thanks for add.... very good point.. wow.. i have so much to absorb...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom