is it worth Changing my camera?

Here's the article that illustrates my understanding of the Fuji ISO problem: Does Fuji Cheat with its Sensors?

Even with people arguing with the methods in the comments, they agree that if you have a Fuji camera next to another camera and dial in the exact same settings on both, the Fuji will appear about 2/3 of a stop darker. Most Fuji owners don't care about it, and it really doesn't matter in real world use, but for comparing ISO performance between cameras of different brands it does matter.

Yep, bogus article. He doesn't know what ISO is and although he has a link to the standards website I suspect he hasn't read it. This sentence from the article is a give-away and should have warned you he was BSing through his hat; "So far, I have been comparing sensors based on the same ISO level, but making exposure adjustments to match the same brightness across different cameras."

The site is extensive and he's written a lot. Here's another link from that site that verifies he's pretty clueless when it comes to ISO: Understanding ISO - A Beginner's Guide Here's a nonsense quote from that article, "The component within your camera that can change sensitivity is called “image sensor” or simply “sensor”."

You got to be careful what you read on the internet. Next thing you know you could start thinking in terms of exposure triangles -- I think he's got that in there too.

Joe

I'm obsessed with exposure triangles, I named my goldfish EC

Here's the article that illustrates my understanding of the Fuji ISO problem: Does Fuji Cheat with its Sensors?

Even with people arguing with the methods in the comments, they agree that if you have a Fuji camera next to another camera and dial in the exact same settings on both, the Fuji will appear about 2/3 of a stop darker. Most Fuji owners don't care about it, and it really doesn't matter in real world use, but for comparing ISO performance between cameras of different brands it does matter.

Yep, bogus article. He doesn't know what ISO is and although he has a link to the standards website I suspect he hasn't read it. This sentence from the article is a give-away and should have warned you he was BSing through his hat; "So far, I have been comparing sensors based on the same ISO level, but making exposure adjustments to match the same brightness across different cameras."

The site is extensive and he's written a lot. Here's another link from that site that verifies he's pretty clueless when it comes to ISO: Understanding ISO - A Beginner's Guide Here's a nonsense quote from that article, "The component within your camera that can change sensitivity is called “image sensor” or simply “sensor”."

You got to be careful what you read on the internet. Next thing you know you could start thinking in terms of exposure triangles -- I think he's got that in there too.

Joe

I'm obsessed with exposure triangles, I named my goldfish EC

EC -- that would be exposure compensation -- no need to bring triangles into it.

Joe

thanks everyone for their input.
i sold all the sony gears and got the fuji film x-t1. 2 days and i am again selling all the fuji gears and going back to Sony a6000.
things that don't suit my style of shooting ...
1) auto iso just till 6400... i trend to shoot a lot of high iso and this is something which i really missed.
2) autofocus and viewfinder is slow.. i tried to take some pics of a volleyball match.. and i just couldn't get the focus right.

i sold all the sony gears and got the fuji film x-t1. 2 days and i am again selling all the fuji gears and going back to Sony a6000.
1) auto iso just till 6400... i trend to shoot a lot of high iso and this is something which i really missed.
2) autofocus and viewfinder is slow.. i tried to take some pics of a volleyball match.. and i just couldn't get the focus right.

So...you sold all your Sony gear, then bought a Fuji setup and shot that for two days, and now plan to sell the Fuji setup, and go BACK to Sony?

So...you sold all your Sony gear, then bought a Fuji setup and shot that for two days, and now plan to sell the Fuji setup, and go BACK to Sony?

if thats the case i would just go to nikon or canon.

... due to finance problem, i had to downgrade my camera equipments... I was using sony a7s, 35mm f2.8, Nissin i40 ... after selling my gears, i bought a Sony a6000 and sigma 30mm f1.4 lens. The combo is nice but just lately fujifilm has caught my eye.
This started with a finance problem. Chasing gear is generally not a good way to fix finance problems. There are a few different rules-of-thumb that go along the lines of "90% of cameras will satisfy 90% of photographer needs." I'd really implore you consider what your current camera *can* do instead of what it *can't* do. Anything beyond that just generates a loud sucking sound (which is your money)...?

...So...you sold all your Sony gear, then bought a Fuji setup and shot that for two days, and now plan to sell the Fuji setup, and go BACK to Sony?
That's kind of what I was thinking. It's your money, but buying camera gear is generally not a healthy option. We're really wanting things to come out right for you.

Yes I sold al the Fuji gear as it was not the tool for me. I originally had the a7s along with 35mm f2.8 and due to financial problems had to downgrade to a6000. But then I thought fujifilm would actually be a better option for me. After investing in the Fuji system and doing some photos over the weekend, the auto ISO limit of 6400 and slow auto focusing made me sell it and go back to a6000.

Can't trust what you read on the internet. [...] The same sensor is in the new Nikon D500.

Oh the irony.

Indeed.

No other camera has the same sensor as the D500. The D500 has 20 Megapixel. Do you know any other current camera that has an APS-C sensor with 20 Megapixel ? I dont.

Certainly not Sony cameras (the APS-C all have 24 Megapixels) and certainly not Fuji X (the old ones have 16 Megapixel, the new ones 24 Megapixel).

Last edited:
Can't trust what you read on the internet. [...] The same sensor is in the new Nikon D500.

Oh the irony.

Indeed.

No other camera has the same sensor as the D500. The D500 has 20 Megapixel. Do you know any other current camera that has an APS-C sensor with 20 Megapixel ? I dont.

Certainly not Sony cameras (the APS-C all have 24 Megapixels) and certainly not Fuji X (the old ones have 16 Megapixel, the new ones 24 Megapixel).

The current Sony APS cameras are 24 megapixels -- last generation are 20.

My bad the D500 is not the exact same sensor -- I had recently read this: D500 Dynamic Range | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

Looking like the D500 is the same basic Sony tech.

Joe

Disappointing thread, but I am glad the OP recovered and din't lose too much in the financial turmoil of changing systems. I for one know what that's like after doing it a bunch of times. You know, sometimes it's a learning process and I've discovered that.

Also, if possible, go and try the equipment out rather than buying it and then having to sell it on the craigslist or the ebay when you realize it wasn't for you! I understand some people live more remote so that isn't possible!

Disappointing thread, but I am glad the OP recovered and din't lose too much in the financial turmoil of changing systems. I for one know what that's like after doing it a bunch of times. You know, sometimes it's a learning process and I've discovered that.

Also, if possible, go and try the equipment out rather than buying it and then having to sell it on the craigslist or the ebay when you realize it wasn't for you! I understand some people live more remote so that isn't possible!

Yes I lost some but at least I experienced both the systems... I used to try cameras out in stores but then it was no way near to how I would shoot.. for example most stores are well lit and the only way to try high ISO is to increase shutter or aperture ... however the performance and noise I get from a very dim lit place is completely different and that I can't test in stores..

Yes I lost some but at least I experienced both the systems... I used to try cameras out in stores but then it was no way near to how I would shoot.. for example most stores are well lit and the only way to try high ISO is to increase shutter or aperture ... however the performance and noise I get from a very dim lit place is completely different and that I can't test in stores..

true, stores like BB have good lighting and may not be a good example of high ISO in low light situations
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back