Advice on upgrade / change in camera.

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by robinhood_1984, Apr 26, 2020.

1. robinhood_1984

robinhood_1984 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I had been wondering about the Henry's used inventory. When I looked a couple of months back, before Covid, there was loads of stuff on there. Then when I looked again once their stores had closed to in person shopping, I noticed it had all gone like you say. I had assumed it was just Covid related but if they're teetering on insolvency, that's not good at all.

I've been looking more on MPB and I suppose that a lot of the stuff there is still quite well priced, even when converted to CAD, especially as they don't charge sales tax if you're not in New York state and living right near the border as I do, I can just have it mailed there and pick it up in my truck on my way through so there is the possibility of quite substantial savings.

I had been basing my "new prices" quite largely off of Amazon but it seems that a lot of the stuff on there is "grey market" and not Fuji or Nikon etc authorized dealers and not subject to warranty as a result, so if that's the case, the benefit of "new" in those cases isn't of that much benefit compared to a good used item and the increased cost of buying new from an authorized dealer, often a few hundred dollars more for a body, suddenly makes a used body from MPB or similar, look quite good.

Ultimately, I'm in no real rush and can wait things out to get the best deal possible and for stores to reopen so I can get my hands on a few bodies to see how they feel in the flesh. Plus, I do have my eye on the Fuji XT3 and I'm hoping that it'll come down in price soon as the XT4 enters circulation.

2. robinhood_1984

robinhood_1984 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's certainly something I'll be looking to do once things reopen again.

There is very little in the way of camera stores in this part of Canada, especially with physical stock of the cameras I'd like to try but I'm a truck driver and get all over the place so it should hopefully be possible somewhere.

3. robinhood_1984

robinhood_1984 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On second thoughts, MPB and the like might not be so bad. If they indeed don't charge sales tax on out of New York residents, that in itself is quite a saving, especially compared to how much tax is on Canadian purchases and I live just over 10 miles from the border and cross over weekly as a truck driver so it'd be very easy to have stuff mailed up to near the border and collect on my way through.

I'm now trying to decide between a used Nikon body and a Fuji, probably an XT3. Coming from a mirrorless already, I think I'd be very comfortable with the Fuji as I really do love and appreciate EVF's and live exposure on screen etc, though I'm familiar enough now with the correct settings for what I usually shoot that a DSLR wouldn't worry me too much with the need for chimping and missing shots.

I do love the look and ergonomics of the Nikon bodies though and the used market for good glass seems enormous and more affordable than Fuji in some cases. It'd just hard deciding or narrowing things down when there's so much to choose from.

I think that if I stay with APS-C then I'd probably go with the XT3 over the D500, as nice as the D500 seems. If I chose a FF nikon body, then I've of course been looking at used D800 and 810's. How do you think the D750 would stack up in comparison or even a D610? Whilst one of my main shooting topics is moving trucks, they're only going at 65mph at most and I generally only take one or two decent shots of each one so an ultra fast frame rate (D500 etc) isn't so important, as a decent autofocus for that important one or two photos that I do take.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The 24mp FX cameras (D610, D750) have very good image quality; the 36mp of the D800 and D810 is better...much more crop-ability.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    20191101_185533.jpg

The only truck photo on my phone...24 MP Nikon from the 2009 D3x.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    DSC_0383_Star_Dec 24_-3.JPG

DSC_0383_Star_Dec 24_-4.JPG

DSC_0383_Star_Dec 24_-6.JPG

DSC_0383_Star_Dec 24_-7.JPG

This is frame 383...f/8 @ 62mm at ISO 200..WITH a used, consumer- level, plastic- mount, 10- ounce zoom...look at the crop- ability! This is from the $35 28-80 AF-D kit zoom from the 1990's.. the 36 mp file from the D800 offers a Lot more detail than a 24mp FX image.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  7. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

no, you're not being 'silly' - go for mirrorless
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless