Is it worth it to get a L glass lens with a 550D?

imagesliveon said:
Guys,

What are you referring to when you say you don't get the same reach from a lens on FF body as opposed to a cropped sensor??

Regards

As for L glass... It's stunning! I have the 24-105 and the 17-40mm.. Stunning sharpness!! (when I get it right!) lol

If that was towards me I was wondering if you crop an image from l glass 70-200 so that the same size photo is shown as a non l glass at 300mm would it still be sharper?

L glass is always worth it. Once you get L glass you will never want anything else. The quality is amazing. Then when you do decide to upgrade your camera body to something else you will already have nice glass for it. IMO I would invest in some nice glass before upgrading bodies in your situation. 550D is still a nice body for snapping shots.

There will be many opinions on getting Lenses and Camera Bodies, I have always lived by the same rules...

1.. Budget, get what you can afford to get, with Lenses ( and we are talking Canon I see ) I would try and always buy Full Framed Lenses, as if you can upgrade to Full Frame Camera, you then already have the lenses to fit..

2.. Glass, The lens is what actually caltures the image, the camera simply records the image the lens shows it, so better quality glass used correctly will help the final image recorded / taken by the camera, but remember that there are also some very good manurafturers out there making equally good glass

3.. Aperture, I have always believed that an f2.8 lens set on f4, is better that an f4 lens... The aperture set at its maximum is really pushing the glass, but what we need more of to get that shutter speed up and ISO lower is "Light" so the faster the glass the better...

and lastly, A full frame lens on a cropped sensor is the best of all worlds, as your not then using all the width of the lens, so no abraisions where at max zoom and aperture...

Hope this helps ;)

Just a thankyou to everyone who replied, you have helped me and i am sure many other people have been helped as well. I have decided i am going to save up and get a 70 - 200mm L USM f4 or f2.8 (if i can afford it at christmas)

crotonmark said:
Would L lass also be a plus for my T4i?

L glass is always a plus in my opinion. You will get the best image quality out of it. Totally worth it if you can afford it.

Most reactions

Back