Is my Olympus Evolt E-500 wearing out? Amateur w/questions...please help!

SoonerPenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. This is my first post on this board, but I would certainly appreciate any insight you might be able to give.

I have a 4 year old Olympus Evolt E-500. I use it mainly for shooting hockey games for our local minor league team.

Of late, I've noticed the images coming out dark, and even more disheartening, extremely blurry. I look back at ones I shot 2 years ago, or even just back in October (at the beginning of the season), and I see a complete 180 difference.

Although I've had the camera for 4 years, I still consider myself a novice at what I'm doing. I've never really fooled around with the settings; shooting more on automatic everything 99% of the time.

I use my mid-range lens more often than anything; I believe it's a 50-150mm. Around 5 games into the season, I seemed to notice it taking longer to autofocus. The arena I shoot in gives the photos a bit of a yellow cast, as well. I didn't know if the focusing was me or what, though. That was when I made the decision to try manual focus. It seemed to work a bit better, though this now gave the photos a blueish tone. Really? Well, OK. I'll deal with that.

Even the manual focus however didn't seem to help when I was right down by the glass. Photos that normally came out reasonably clear are now almost.....I don't even know the word. Unviewable. Unusable. Mainly just streaks....blurry streaks.

I've been experimenting trying to get the blue tone off the photos, mainly finiggling with the white balance. I've done a serviceable job with that; enough to please me, at least.

The blurriness is what is bothering me the most. I guess I should note that in the 4 years (and couple months) I've had the camera, I've taken probably near 20000 shots on it. I'm using the same 2 & 3 memory cards, but even using one that I hadn't touched in about a year, the photos came out the same. I've not had anything cleaned or tuned, as I'm not entirely sure if there's a place near me that could do it, or if it would even be cost effective, i.e., should I just put that towards a new camera.

When using the autofocus, I shoot on the Sport setting, and really only mess with the white balance (upping it from anywhere to a +0.7 to a +1.0). That is the only adjustment I've made from the beginning of the season (October) to now.

Any and all advice would be appreciated beyond belief, before I chuck the poor thing out the window and head for a Nikon D3100.

Thank you.

Candace

You need to post some examples.

I figured I would. I tried, but it said I needed 5 posts to be able to do so. Let me work on that a bit.

I figured I would. Let me see if I can do this.

Photos from 2+ years ago, all shot with the 75-300mm:

franckmask.jpg

gomez.jpg

fleck.jpg

Shot in October, with same lens....slightly farther away, and accounting for the darkness due to different lighting conditions in different building:

omara22warmup.jpg

Shot 3 weeks ago; only adjustment is to remove a bit of blue color cast, and it was also taken using the manual focus:
gerber1.jpg

The worst ones of the bunch came over this past weekend, and are on my computer at home. It'll be a couple hours before I make it there, but this can be a start.

Let me also say, I picked ones that were straight off the camera, with as little adjustment as possible (but hopefully NONE).

The lights in the different stadium or different lights may be dimmer than 2 years ago. Less light or bad light in those conditions will result in what you have described.

Most reactions

Back