Is Nikon 18-105 VR a good lens?

timarp000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im planning to buy the D7100. Im looking at the 18-105 VR. How does it compare to the 24-85 VR?

If the 24-85 is much better than the 18-105 then i will save cash and go for the 24-85.

I have D5100 which is an older and an inferior camera to D7100. And I would not ever consider 18-105, even though it is not really a bad lense.
But buying the best DX body available and using it with an average, boring lense is not the best option, methinks.
I would say, if FX is not in your plans and money is a factor, get a used 16-85. It is built like a tank, has good optics, handles really well and it is a very consistent performer.
I have never used a 24-85 and do not know about its IQ, but it is built to much inferior standard than 16-85.

No, it's just a kit lens in effect.

With a D7100 you need something with great optics, because the D7100's sensor will make everything that is wrong with a lens show up plain as day.

I have D5100 which is an older and an inferior camera to D7100. And I would not ever consider 18-105, even though it is not really a bad lense.
But buying the best DX body available and using it with an average, boring lense is not the best option, methinks.
I would say, if FX is not in your plans and money is a factor, get a used 16-85. It is built like a tank, has good optics, handles really well and it is a very consistent performer.

Id like the 16-85 but eventually i will consider an FX camera. Since the 18-105 is only $250 if i loose that much, its ok. But when i drop $600 on a lens, i would expect to use it for a long time. Hence the 16-85 is out of the question.

Is the 24-85 a good lens? Since i dont do landscapes often, i really dont need that wide angle... The main thing is that all the lenses i buy must be weather proof. When i took my D40x to North India during winter, temps were Below 4C and my camera shutter jammed. I had to drop ~$200 to get that fixed.

This is what im planning to buy.
Nikon D7100
Nikon Zoom Lens (Not decided)
Nikon 70-300 VR
Nikon 60mm f/2.8D

Are all these weatherproof?

Substitute the words weather-resistant for weatherproof, and the answer is yes.

None of Nikon's DSLR gear is weatherproof.

I have heard the plastic lens mount on the nikon 18-105 is easy to break, lots of reports on the net, so be careful.

John.

Last edited:
Id like the 16-85 but eventually i will consider an FX camera. Since the 18-105 is only $250 if i loose that much, its ok. But when i drop $600 on a lens, i would expect to use it for a long time. Hence the 16-85 is out of the question.

That is why I wrote "buy a used one". Since 16-85 proved to be reliable and is very well built, you will be able to sell it a year or two later for similar price. You will loose less with this lence than if you buy a new 18-105.

There is nothing wrong with the 18-105. I have it and the 16-85 too. The 16-85 is much better build quality but it is only marginally better IQ than the 18-105.

I had an 18-105 for a couple years. Never once did someone look at a photo I took with it and say, "Ew, you must have taken that with those crappy 18-105 plastic-mount kit lenses!"

I have the 18-105mm and I bought the 24-85mm because when I will upgrade my D7000 I will upgrade it to an FX body.
I love my 24-85mm VR, good all around lens which I use most of the time.
That's not a vote against the 18-105mm BR, I simply don't think I will have a DX body camera so I might as well get an FX lens.

Wow! Looks like the 18-105 is really good! Now im really confused! Which one do i buy?

Wow! Looks like the 18-105 is really good! Now im really confused! Which one do i buy?

If you plan on sticking with a DX body then get the 18-105mm, if you plan on moving in the future to an FX body then get the 24-85mm VR

I've had my 18-105 for almost 3 yrs (i think) and I've never been disappointed with it.In fact I always thought it was a decent lens.I don't abuse my stuff,but I don't baby it,either.I've got other stuff that covers the range,but I've never even considered selling my "kit" lens.

Most reactions

Back