Is Nikon a bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by BagrovMichael, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    true, rapidly declining sales for both Nikon and Canon DSLR's .... and mirrorless cameras gaining market share
    along with all those cell phones !
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    About time to cut the mirrorless sh!+ you keep smearing all over...it's starting to stink...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

No doubt loosing Sendai factory hurt them. But they would sell out / be acquired before closing the doors. I have no worries about staying with Nikon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I've been a Nikon customer and shooter for 34 years now...a little over one-third of the company's total lifespan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Toshiba went bankrupt a few years ago, they still make computers and nuclear power plants though.

Maybe one arm of Nikon is in trouble but they make a bunch of stuff for many different sectors.

As for the dude Tom Hogan he makes a living out of creating rumours.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Hilariously inaccurate! Thom Hogan does much,much more than "just reports" and aggregates sales data...he continually harps on Nikon's product lines, company policies, and company strategies, and he constantly inserts his personal opinion on every single thing that HE thinks Nikon has done or does incorrectly, and he constantly offers up free, unsolicted advice on how to run the World's Second Largest Camera Company...and he continually presents himself as the Savior of Nikon If They Would Only Just Listen To Me, Thom Hogan.

I have zero idea where you come up with comments like the above...that he "just reports"...sorry, but no, he does muuuuch more than reports: he contiunually editorializes,and sets himself up as the Expert, and Nikon is the Idiot Corporation That Does Not Listen To Thom Hogan.

As Pixmedic asks about, I too often wonder sometimes if you are indeed, Thom Hogan, cgw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Everyone keeps saying DSLRs are declining in sales and you know that's probably true but you have to remember, DSLRs have been available for years now. They are well thought out at this point, they've had mostly all the kinks worked out. They are built to last, they are tough cameras with high quality images sensors and LOTS of lenses available. People don't have a reason to upgrade to the next model unless they require some fancy new feature so people don't buy the next model every time. Most photographers I know use a 5 year plan for their DSLR bodies.

I've seen next generation of a mirrorless camera model come out within a year or just after a year of the previous model and people run right out and buy it because there is some sort of significant difference between the new and the previous model that was worth it.

Mirrorless is still new and still are having the kinks worked out. The same thing happened when DSLRs were new.

I don't see Nikon going anywhere anytime soon. I fell in that hole a while ago and I stopped worrying about it and just went on with shooting.

Just get out and keep shooting.

8. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Malarkey. Data is data. Hogan just parses the data and comments. What's troubling and amusing by turns about your jabs is that kicking Hogan doesn't invalidate the numbers in Nikon's quarterly/annual reports.Whether Nikon listens to Thom's "advice" is immaterial. How would you view Nikon's health based on the same data Hogan studies? Hogan's opinion isn't gospel. It's opinion. The Hogan hate-on seems a bit pointless, especially since there's never any evidence of how your take on the Nikon numbers would differ from his. Short of that, I'm just seeing out-gassing and ranting. Tiresome. Not a bone worth chewing any longer, Derrel. Not worthy of you, either.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  9. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think Nikon is doing many errors right now - D3400, D5600, D7500, D5, AF-S 105mm f1.4, AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 VR, AF-S 300mm f4 FL VR, SB5000 are all inferior to their predecessors, some of them massively so. The whole idea of the AF-P lenses is very stupid, any lens with VR should have a switch to turn it off, thats just basic common sense.

On the other hand the D810 is still the king, without real competition from anyone(1), and theres already a successor on the way. Theres many other really good recent products - D500, AF-S 200-500mm f5.6 VR, AF-S 20mm f1.8, AF-S 24mm f1.8 come to mind.

The core problem of Nikon however is the same as it was once of Pentax (who indeed have been sold in the end and are currently owned by Ricoh): they are too specialized into photography alone.

That means when their market fails for a while, they have no other markets for compensation to keep the company afloat. Right now the photography market is in a bad shape in general.

While for example Canon is also invested in video and printers. Both of which go very well with photography, too.

Ricoh who currently suffers from Pentax is also faring pretty awful in that area right now, but they have enough other business to compensate.

(1) The Canon 5Ds is a solid product, but the performance isnt there; its basically an ISO 100 camera. The Sony A7r2 has the performance, but its a very poor product otherwise. The Pentax K1 is the toughest competition thanks to its multishot tech. The sensor however is the older one from the D800 and the lens selection is good, but spartanic.

10. nerwin

Love the 20 1.8G!

11. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    In case anyone missed this, here it is again.

12. nerwin

Well the new FX 70-300 VR has a switch to turn off VR and that's an AF-P lens.

So I don't think its right to say EVERY AF-P lens will not have a physical switch to disable VR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.