Is Photography your Hobby, Passion or Profession.

Passion and hobby. I love all forms of digital art and have tried music and video over the years but stills photography has been a part of my life since childhood.

Passion/hobby for me.
I feel I should put them in that order as I go far beyond many other hobbyists. Tinkering with adapted lenses, infra-red & UV photography as well as most of the usual photographic genres.
I'll even explore a little the idea of building my own optics, hacking hardware & using alternate processes, but sadly have had time to follow up most of these.

The only money I've made from photography has been from sitting in front of the camera for advertisements all of which was a LONG time ago when I looked more photogenic.

Photography is my both Passionate and Professionalization, in also both Film and Digital, indeed!!! Love Film and Digital Photography, very Passionate and Professionally!!!

Most of the time it’s a hobby. My passion for it comes and goes. Lately it’s my therapy. Nothing brings me peace and inner calm like an hour or two of quiet exploring with my camera.

Used to be hobby, passion, employment (selling), passion, hobby ... now I just fix cameras, I haven't really taken any pictures for many months ... I am over it now.

I have gone through times like that and always end up having something spark my interest again, whether it’s seeing an inspiring photo or a request from a friend to shoot an event or just a random idea of something I have to try to create.

Passion as a young boy, then profession for 26 yrs now hobby. So glad I had the experience when you had to trust you instincts instead of having immediate viewing. While it is nice to not have to tape up doors on hotel bathrooms to load sheet film or spend hours in a darkroom, the immediacy of the art has taken some of the magic away. On the other hand, I cannot imagine today having to go through airport security with 6-15 cases of equipment and film. The digital world dropped that count to couple of cases a tripod tube.

It's my profession, and as others have mentioned the passion comes and goes at times. Nothing I'd rather be doing for a living though, unless one of you knows how I can make a living driving go karts :biggrin-93:

Hobby nothing better then to take a ride with your camera and totally relax!

Reactions: ntz
Digital photography allows me to experiment cost-free; I don't regret yesterday's multiple bad shots on a rural walk - mistakes teach you what to avoid in future. With film (which I am not disparaging - I have shots of relatives from the 1800s that I could not match in quality that are tack sharp) experimentation can be very expensive.

Most of my day is spent doing something related to photography although I've never made any money at it.

All of the above, with a minor exception that mine is a semi-pro rather than full blown profession

It’s primarily a hobby, but from time to time it becomes a passion. I would never have the courage to try to make it a profession.

I’ve been shooting photographs since 1968 when I acquired my first SLR. over the years I’ve upgraded cameras and lenses and now use a Canon 80D. I seem to have focus issues since I now have an eye disorder that makes the world fuzzy, and I would like to figure out how to resolve those issues. I had hoped an autofocus camera would take care of it, but it only seems to have added to the frustration. I long for the days with my old AE1 Program and a split image focusing screen.

Most reactions

Back