Is The Canon 600D The right camera for me?

Thank you everyone! I was debating between the 600D and Nikon D5100 I ultimitly decided to look more into the T3i because I found that canon lenses were a bit cheaper and also there was more viriety in my price range. :)

Thank you everyone! I was debating between the 600D and Nikon D5100 I ultimitly decided to look more into the T3i because I found that canon lenses were a bit cheaper and also there was more viriety in my price range. :)

I would hold back for a while. You are posting this on a Canon forum, and therefore Canon gets more positive review. What lenses do you want anyway?

Oh I know I did my research before joining this form :) I posted it here because I wanted to see how people who have canons / the 600D liked their camera, how long it kept them happy if they got the image quality they were looking for etc lol I really want to get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM For mostly portriats (the first one) And wildlife photos forthe second one :) Im also looking for a nice landscaping lens but they are reaaally expensive lol so I am looking more into these two lenses for now

I wouldn't use an adapter though. If feel is most important for you, go for the Canon, if image quality and exposure/white balance consistency is most important, go for the Nikon.

Why would you not use an adapter? Most, if not all Nikon lenses made after 1959 have aperture rings and the Canon lenses don't, so for a macro shooter, an adapter and reversed Nikon lenses make the process a lot easier and more controllable. Older, used Nikon lenses can be had for good bargains.

I don't know that I'd automatically hand IQ/exposure/WB to Nikon carte blanche. Nikons typically are better in low light shooting (less high ISO noise) so a win for them there, but not across the board. IQ is more about the lens and the shooter. Heck, I could even argue that post processing skills play a big role as well.

I have seen the posts stating Nikon's top-of-the-line glass is the best, period, but is it really? I dunno, I bet the Nikon shooters think so.

Then again, Canon's top glass looks every bit as good from what I've seen. So do some of the lenses from Sigma or Tokina.

It's a Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument.

We've seen posts in this very forum from users with top-end cameras that make you question if the photo was really shot with that camera and we've seen shots from users with older, low-end cameras that are just absolutely superb in all aspects.

Don't get me wrong, I was all set to go Nikon and I actually prefer the controls on the Nikon, but macro is what I really like and I really want the MP-E65 lens at some point, so that leaves me no choice but to go Canon. The ability to use that adapter and reversed lens technique will make it a lot easier to do because of the aperture ring on the Nikon lenses. I'll be able to buy cheaper, used Nikon lenses and start shooting macro now and still have the ability to get and use the MP-E65 later (when I can afford it). I don't regret, nor worry about IQ or WB or exposure issues by going with Canon. I picked what will provide me the capabilities I want because I believe the quality of the output from Canon or Nikon are on the same playing field.

One of my friends is having T2i/550D and I am having T3i/600D, we both have photography as our hobby and use the gear for our personal use. I don’t think he is missing anything with his t2i. If you consider t2i/550D it will save you US$100 more.

thank you! I was actually considering the t2i but seeing as they have started selling the t4i here (litterally JUST this week) The T3i has gone down in price :)

Oh I know I did my research before joining this form :) I posted it here because I wanted to see how people who have canons / the 600D liked their camera, how long it kept them happy if they got the image quality they were looking for etc lol I really want to get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM For mostly portriats (the first one) And wildlife photos forthe second one :) Im also looking for a nice landscaping lens but they are reaaally expensive lol so I am looking more into these two lenses for now

Nikon has both of the lenses you want. One thing I realised is that Nikon lenses is not more expensive than Canon's and vice versa. The one that is more expensive is the one that is newer.

I love this thread. I just recently purchased a T3i recently and have already learned quite a bit. Not sure if I should have just made a new thread for this but what are the main differences between the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II lens and the Canon EF 50mm f-1.4 lens. The 18-55mm lens that came with the T3i kit is alright but I'm finding that the quality isn't all that great.

I'm gonna simplify it for you:
T3i for video
D5100 for pictures.

Easy enough, eh?

-ken Turner

MiiLovely said:
thank you! I was actually considering the t2i but seeing as they have started selling the t4i here (litterally JUST this week) The T3i has gone down in price :)

Well then why wouldn't you go for the T2i? The only differences between it and the T3i are video related.

-ken Turner

^ Thank you :) And I do take videos actually lol I have a youtube account where I post me singing the songs I write and playing the guitar :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back