What's new

Is the D7000 right for me?

JohnGregorio

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
McKinleyville, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an absolutely newbie to photography. In fact, I never thought about it until I bought my sister a T1i for Christmas, ever since then I have a strong lust for it. I want to do sports photography, mainly focusing on auto racing such as NASCAR, drag racing as examples. I'm setting a budget under 1800 for my first camera. I want something that I can get right now, learn to use and develop my skills before spending more on an advanced camera that I can't use fully due to lack of skills. I've heard that the Nikon D7000 is the best thing in that price range. How well does it handle fast action such as stated above? Please let me know if this is what I should be buying and maybe some on hands review if you've used one.
 
To be honest, a pro DSLR isn't any harder to use than an entry level one - in fact it's easier - there are just no auto modes.

Anyway, the D7000 would do you well... or a D300s, you'll gain some FPS and a little tougher build.

What might be a good option is a used/refurb D200 with a used/refurb Nikon 70-200 VR lens.

The list of bodies I've owned/own are in my signature, I love the D7000 personally but if you're starting out with no lenses that's something to take into consideration when talking budget.
 
If you are going to be shooting sports then find a used pro body like the D2H, D2X or 1DmkII with a low shutter count and pass on the D7000. The DX crop factor will make the most of your tele lenses and the weather sealed pro bodies will stand up to moisture and cold much better than the amateur D7000.
 
my D200 with grip and tokina lens is for sale in the buy/sell section. just figured i would throw that out there.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom