Is the Nikon D700 Too much of a Camera?

I always think that once you have an understanding about DOF and how to control it, how the aperture setting, the shutter speed and ISO all interact to obtain the correct exposure, then I cant see why someone should not buy the best camera they can afford if they are upgrading. I agree that someone buying a D700 for their first camera is overkill, but lets face it, like every other DSLR, it has the same controls (shutter, aperture, ISO), its just that it handles certain conditions better than others. This along with the FF = $$$. Yeah, they will have to learn all the extra functions, but how is that any different to someone upgrading from a D80 to the 700.

Will you be able to figure out how to use the camera? Sure. (Hint -- it's the button on the top right.)

Will you someday be able to make the most out of the camera? Maybe -- depends on how hard you work at it. God knows what I was passionate about at 13 isn't what I was passionate about a year later (and I don't mean the cute blonde in 8th grade algebra), and even deep hobbies can change as we get older -- but if you stick with this, and really put in the work needed, then there is a LOT of room for growing into that camera.

Will you have the lenses to make the camera worth getting? Well, that's a tough one -- and one you need to consider. If you spend every dime you make at your soon-to-be job on the camera body, and slap on a $50 lens, then your images are going to look like they were shot with a $50 lens -- not a god-awfully expensive camera. If you've already got great lenses, then, sure, get the expensive camera to match them. If your lenses aren't great, then you may be better off allocating some of the camera money to lenses instead.

Are you wasting your money, when a cheaper camera would do just fine? Yes, but so what? It's your dough, so you can spend it on pink flamingo statues and purple knit tights if you want. I'd start with something simpler (and put the saved money into my "turn 16 and buy a hot ride" fund) -- but I'm not you, and if this is what you want to do with your money...s'alright.

Given that you seem to be just 13 and that you don't seem to be *that* experienced, I think a D90 will better suit you for now. It does most of the important stuff that the D700 will do for you at 1/3 the cost. The D700 is a semi-professional body that is designed for professional photographers who need the most out of their equipment. I won't consider myself worthy of a D700 yet :p

After a couple more years, you may decide to move on to the D700's successor.
If you just want to blow lots of money, do ahead and get a D700, its an awesome camera, but I don't think you'll be able to use it to its full potential yet.

P.S. The D700 isn't really a more "complex" camera, it's just a faster, better built, fancier camera with more bells and whistles (incl. FF, that is pretty major). Most cameras are very simple to operate though; spin the dials to set any special settings that you want and then press the shutter and you've got a picture.

Well I have 3 Nikon [FULL FRAME] Lenses for my FM10, (the reason I want a FULL FRAME CCD/CMOS sensor), I dont want the crop. I love my lenses perfectly how they are. If I want more zoom, ill by myself a new lens. (no anger in those words was intended)

Another Reason I want the D700 is because it is (to the best of my knowledge) the best Nikon Camera. I honestly dont have the money for it, but Id rather take a big hit then a lot of lesser hits by buying a camera and upgrade to another, then another. And after all that, the last one will be like a brick compared to the first one. I want to start out with that brick so I dont feel its slowing me down whatsoever.

Thats a good plan. If you have experience with a film camera, you shouldn't have that much a transition to the D700 (as far as technique) is concerned. Anything else is technical gimmickry that does not trump a firm understanding of the basics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back