Is the upgrade worth it ?

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started doing events, at the moment I second shoot volunteering.
I use my D750 as main camera and want to start using second camera as I find it very hard to switch lenses all the time between the 70-200mm and 24-70mm
So I am thinking on either using my D5100 as my second camera or upgrade it to the D3300
My main thing is getting clean shot in higher ISO and from DXOmark the D3300 has about 17% better performance.
The D3300 has a more modern sensor and the latest Expeed 4 vs the Expeed 2
The swivel screen on the D5100 has no importance for me.
D5100 only advantage which I can see is better DR-about 7% better.

I can trade in my D5100 with the old 55-200mm non VR add 255$ (CAN) and get the D3300

So does it make sense to do the upgrade ?

BTW-I suffer from G.A.S, just felt to add that LOL

Just don't get a red one, that wouldn't be very professional of you. Haha.

Not really answering my question but I will take this advice into consideration :)

Not really answering my question but I will take this advice into consideration :)

I think it would be a fine upgrade from the D5100...like you said..the D3300 has a better modern 24mp sensor with better low light capabilities. I say go for it.

It's certainly no D750 though.

I think it would be a fine upgrade from the D5100...like you said..the D3300 has a better modern 24mp sensor with better low light capabilities. I say go for it.

It's certainly no D750 though.
Thank you for feedback :)
And no its not a D750 but its not meant to be one, its a helper in events, if and when I will get paid then I will get another FX camera to acomany the D750, until then the D511 or D3300 will do just fine.

no, no and no. The d5100 will not be upgraded if you but a d3300. You'll get 8mp if you feel thats necessary, other than that some bs numbers on snapsort or dxo might look better, but no way is there going to be any useful improvement

I use my D750 as main camera and want to start using second camera as I find it very hard to switch lenses all the time between the 70-200mm and 24-70mm
So I am thinking on either using my D5100 as my second camera or upgrade it to the D3300
My main thing is getting clean shot in higher ISO and from DXOmark the D3300 has about 17% better performance.

I can trade in my D5100 with the old 55-200mm non VR add 255$ (CAN) and get the D3300

You did it anyway :) . Was it worth the upgrade?

I'd rather have the 24MP sensor and image processor of the D3300 over the D5100. IIRC, the only benefit the D5100 has over the D3300 is the swivel screen.

Just make sure they didn't delete functions out of the firmware that you might really care about.

The only thing I could think might be a difference would be buffer and viewfinder.

If you can afford it, either by waiting a bit or selling some stuff, I recommend 7100 or 7200 as a backup. The layout of the buttons is nearly identical to the 750, so it's incredibly easy to switch between them. More focus points, weather sealing, etc. 7200 is slightly better for low noise (also slightly more expensive).

Otherwise, I recommend 3300 over 5100. (Again, a money thing though. Is it really worth buying the 3300?)

I really like the button layout of the D3200/3300/5200/5300. When set up properly (fn key), it's just as efficient as a D750. I own a D750, I had a D5200...

The viewfinder is the big issue.

I really like the button layout of the D3200/3300/5200/5300. When set up properly (fn key), it's just as efficient as a D750. I own a D750, I had a D5200...

OP plans to use both cameras at once; it's much easier to do this if the button layouts of the two cameras are the same.

OP plans to use both cameras at once; it's much easier to do this if the button layouts of the two cameras are the same.

The button layout may or may not matter to some. The viewfinder is, in my opinion, the bigger deciding factor... it's so hard to frame up anything.

You did it anyway :) . Was it worth the upgrade?
Yes :)
It was worth it, its all a matter of how much I needed to add on the D5100, I added 140$ USD on the D5100 and I got a new modern camera, so yes for me it was absolutly worth it.
Low light performance is about 1/3 stop better and its noticable to me.
Extra 8MP will come in handy when I shoot animals.
The D3300 feels almost naked from features but that is ok, for serious photography I have the D750, the D3300 is intended to be a backup and addition for the D750 so I only need it to do very few things.
Also I might be mistaken but the grip feels a little beafier then the D5100 and when I have the 70-200mm on it I need a good grip because thats a big heavy lens.

If you can afford it, either by waiting a bit or selling some stuff, I recommend 7100 or 7200 as a backup. The layout of the buttons is nearly identical to the 750, so it's incredibly easy to switch between them. More focus points, weather sealing, etc. 7200 is slightly better for low noise (also slightly more expensive).

Otherwise, I recommend 3300 over 5100. (Again, a money thing though. Is it really worth buying the 3300?)
D7xxx was never an option for me, I love the body and size of these cameras but as a first camera not as a second body, I deliberatly wanted a smaller body as this is my backup camera on trips and I go a lot on trips and I really dont need 2 heavy cameras on me.

If and when I will get paid for work I will not bother with a D7xxx or the D3300, I plan on getting a used D610 and keep the D3300 for back up purposes only so a D7xxx is useless for me simply because it gives me what the D750 but with a smaller sensor.

Good to hear you got what you needed

Most reactions

New Topics

Back