Is there a better travel camera?

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Every year I travel some place fun...and somehow end up buying a new camera for the trip *LOL*
a few years ago (many many) I got a Panasonic Lumix LX5, 2 years back I borrowed a GM1.
Last year I used an Olympus TG4.

This year I'm planning to get the Olympus OMD-EM10 MkII

Assuming my budget is around USD 600...is there anything better?
I looked at the Sony A6000 with 16-50 but I'm left eye dominant so it doesn't feel as nice.
Also, I like the closer focusing Zuiko lens (mostly photos of food).

Also considered the RX100 MkII but inferior image quality (though it is lovely small).

Closest competitor is the Lumix GX850 but the EM10 MkII has better image stabilization.

(background I also have a Nikon D810 with several lenses but I hate travelling with that bulk...maybe I'll trick my GF into carrying them)

Every year I travel some place fun...and somehow end up buying a new camera for the trip *LOL*
a few years ago (many many) I got a Panasonic Lumix LX5, 2 years back I borrowed a GM1.
I looked at the Sony A6000 with 16-50 but I'm left eye dominant so it doesn't feel as nice.
Also considered the RX100 MkII but inferior image quality (though it is lovely small).
Closest competitor is the Lumix GX850 but the EM10 MkII has better image stabilization.
(background I also have a Nikon D810 with several lenses but I hate travelling with that bulk...maybe I'll trick my GF into carrying them)

if you already have a Nikon camera and lens but hate traveling with the "bulk" just get a mirrorless camera where you can still use DSLR lens and smaller mirrorless lens .... simple
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

if you already have a Nikon camera and lens but hate traveling with the "bulk" just get a mirrorless camera where you can still use DSLR lens and smaller mirrorless lens .... simple
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I don't need to mix my work lenses with my play lenses. The Nikon 1 is defunct And rubbish. I'd just get the em10 ii with 14-42 and 40-150 and use that strictly for play. I hate using adapters for lenses though mounting my GF's 300/2.8 on m43 would be a hoot.

Last edited:
Still haven't bought the camera but the RX100 V is kinda itching in my mind...kinda want it.

The best travel camera is the one you will use. Go put your hands on what interests you and find what you like be it a P&S, Bridge, Mirrorless, DSLR, Medium Format, or smart phone. When we travel I generally take my little G1x MkII. It does exactly what I want for most of our travels. If not then I take one of the DSLR's

In the spring of 2019 we are taking the entire family to Hawaii (the big island) for 8 days and 7 nights. For that trip I will definitely be taking the 1Dx MkII and my trifecta of L zooms.

Fuji X70? Compact, good quality and the fixed lens will be a different experience to your work camera?

Fuji X70? Compact, good quality and the fixed lens will be a different experience to your work camera?
considered it momentarily.
I much prefer a zoom.
Most of the images just end up on Facebook and i might print a few.
I was reasonably happy with my Olympus TG4 last year's vacation.

Most of the images will be my food, my watch, and things that catch my eye.

The best travel camera is the one you will use. Go put your hands on what interests you and find what you like be it a P&S, Bridge, Mirrorless, DSLR, Medium Format, or smart phone.
I use my SmartPhone a hella lot!
If there's a camera out there, I've played with it.
I've even reviewed the RX1R II (which I deeply love but cannot afford)
For my travel/toy camera, I would like to stay under USD 600 retail. I will not look at used because I actually buy direct from the manufacturers.

I don't like the lack of zoom.
I've also placed the Fujifilm XA3 and the Canon EOS M6 kit on the board along with the OMD EM10 II and Sony A6000 kit.

Ultimately, it will boil down to where I can get the best deal when it comes to time to buy. I want a small light Summer camera as well as something for my vacation this Fall.

Most reactions

Back