Is there anyone left who wants to learn?

I'm sure I could manage a little light spanking.
I don't know what for, though. I follow your points exactly. And though i wouldn't have phrased it in quite the same way...
Just learn tolerance and how to filter.

*Edit* I'm ahead of you, sweetie, but... (******** I was about to post a rude tail end to that but I won't)

Hehe Hertz,
That's a scary thought. You still intimidate me comeplety!
Thank you for the agreement on the old days, and thank you even more for the cohesive study of the new website.
SorrySorrySorry, for being such a grouch. I need to start hiring processors. It's making me crazy. :)

Well I hope I'm able to learn and grow as you did; most likely not take it to a professional capacity, but, I'm all ears (eyes).

elsaspet.....your web site is grand, very nice work. I can understand that you're booked for '07.

If I ever have a "fifth", I'll be sure to call on you.:lol:

Thank you for the nice words you guys. I honestly do appreciate it very very much.
I took a ten minute break trying to decide how to better say this, and I guess this is my best revisement. It's not to glorify my current business, but to explain how I got from here to there.

This was the very first forum I ever came to, and one of the few I still come back to, not as often as I would like however, due to the current workload

I learned EVERYTHING here. I never had so much as a poloroid when I came here. Nothing. My husband bought me a film Elan, and I was just so greatful, and having fun with it. I shared on this forum, and it was great! Even though people had vastly different shooting experience, there was help and encouragement from almost everyone. It wasn't all gravy, but there was always a "here is what I would try" attached to a critique. I took it all to heart.
I learned from EVERYONE. Some more than others, but I always listened.

I come here now, and have to think to myself, what would I be doing for a living now if I had come here for help now.

Scary. I'd be working at a factory, thinking I sucked. At everything.

But Thank God, that was not the way with me. I was nurtured, graded, tested, and encouraged. And that is why I am today, a professional photog making enough money to have my husband retire to shoot with me.
And that is the way this place used to be, and should be now.
If you have a better way to do something, share it.
:)

Hi, elsaspet

I was here to learn. But after posting some pics and begging for input and receiving close to nothing, I've given up, at least for the time being. Maybe I suck so big that my pics are beyond help. I'll look for other ways to improve.

I'll post pics again when I feel I have something better. For now, I'll give some advice if I think I have something to say.

Sorry for whining.

I read "Is there anyone else who wants to learn?" and my first thought was, yes, I do, I want to learn. And by the looks of it I'm not alone. This thread has 300 views since it was posted this morning. ;)

stop complaining its a forum. Just cause people dont post there own work dosent mean they dont know what they are talking about. When i get bad comments i dont go looking to rip on their ****. its all about accepting comments and seeing if you agree with the person.

Hi Cindy, I hear what you are saying...and I think that part of the problem is just the growing pains that the forum is experiencing. If you are not around everyday, and even if you are...is hard to know who is who...which makes it harder to know where people are comming from with their critiques. Plus, there are members from around the world and language can sometimes be a barrier.

We have created 'The Business District'...which is a section for professionals to talk shop and compare note/shots. I think this is where you can best get what you are looking for. It's still a bit of a task keeping that section on-topic....but we are trying. If you have any more suggestions...please let the mods/admins know.

I, for one...admire the heck out of your work...I almost feel that I have little to offer you...because you are so ahead of the game.

I agree with Digital Matt...
I see a lot of people that learn a new concept, shakily, in one thread, and 5 minutes later rushing to try and explain the concept to someone else, before they have a firm grasp. It really just ends up cluttering up a thread in which a basic question can be answered easily, and correctly by someone else (probably the same person or persons that answered it in the previous thread(s).

Sometimes I think people just post for the sake of showing that they know something, rather than actually trying to help someone. I try to answer questions when I am 100% certain that my knowledge is correct, and I fully understand the concept.
Sometimes, I feel like I'm just running around this place...just trying to correct bad advice.

As Mike mentioned, the forum is growing. I haven't been around all that long myself but I can say with some confidence that a couple of years ago it was even more of a personable place than it is now. The forum has over 14,000 members with about 400-500 users online at peak hours from what I've seen. I would venture to guess that a lot of the users with thousands of posts can easily grow pretty tired of trying to keep up with the critique section and share the same advice they have undoubtedly shared a hundred times before. I can't say I blame them. I think I have posted one photo in the critique section myself but that's only because I don't think I have anything that's good enough to bother putting up. That should change very soon as I will have my first DSLR in a couple of weeks. That being said, even though I've only been around a short time I can understand what you're saying.

For what it's worth, and I'm not trying to sound like a mooch or anything, you're story fascinates me. You've only been at this for two years and you are booked with weddings through all of 2007? Wow! I visited your site and happened to glance through the pricing. Obviously Texas is a little richer country than the state of Wisconsin. Just the fact that you can command that level of compensation amazes me. Good for you and congrats on your success. :thumbup:

awww, Cindy. :hug::

Don't forget, my sweet....you also came here with a few things that maybe aren't shared with everyone. That would include your a) naturally good eye for composition, b) voracious appetite for knowledge, c) ability to accept advice and critique without feeling you were in any way being picked on and lastly, but maybe most important of all....4) tenacity and integrity to follow through, and build upon, what you were learning.

I'm thrilled to know you're booked for 2007, and flattered that you think I helped you. You did it, hon. :thumbup:

The forum has exploded in growth, so we can't hope to have it be what it was a couple years back. But we can hope to find more Cindys out there..... and now you're at a place where you can give something back, too. Hang onto that, for it's a wonderful thing!

OK, since this appears to be an issue to be discussed among the masters, I will silence myself.

I only hope that I myself did not contribute too much to the forum's degradation, after all I just arrived here only recently and do not know what "the old times" were like.

OK, since this appears to be an issue to be discussed among the masters, I will silence myself.

I only hope that I myself did not contribute too much to the forum's degradation, after all I just arrived here only recently and do not know what "the old times" were like.

no see thats unacceptable to me... none of our members no matter what skill level or experience should feel like they should quiet down just becuase a) they havent been here as long... or b) they arnt as knowledgable as some others....

Although i kinda agree with what matt and mike are saying.... in a way its TS... because after all this is a forum.... and everyone has a right to join in no matter what level they are at.

I commend those who have to go around correcting peoples mis-information, they do a great job.... and have ALOT of patience.... but id rather see this happen than newer members being too intimidated to add thier point of view.

...and Alex your advice is well informed so dont feel concearned about your activity here.

I agree with Archangel, doesn't matter how long you've been here or what your level of photography is, as long as you post photos and leave the odd comment I'm happy.

I don't care who comments on my posts as long as someone does. There is nothing worst then posting a thread and not getting a single reply.

One thing I try to do each day is to look at all the threads in the Landscape/nature forum and post a reply, even if its just to say "I like it"

If I get a comment from someone with 8000 posts or 8 posts its all good to me, I know for a fact that from the feedback I've received and from seeing other members posts I have learned a lot and my photography is getting better and better.

In my mind this forum has gone from strength to strength in the 1 year I've been here and the reason for that is that the members are great. I've been on other photography forums and just didn't feel welcome but not so on here. There are just so many great people here and they make this forum what it is. Lots of member all at different levels, beginners to Pro's and everyone wants to help and share info.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from participating. I just think that a little bit of listening goes a long way, if you know what I mean. Sometimes it's better to just subscribe to a thread and wait for the answer to come along, rather than to attempt to answer a question that you don't have the answer to, and hope to be corrected. There's hardly a long wait time on here for questions to be answered. There's plenty of great information floating around, that doesn't need to be unnecessarily complicated by incomplete or wrong information.

I definately feel that all levels should participate. Absolutely. It's often that "new eye" that can give you some really awesome advice.
And Big Mike, I learn from you ALL the time! Your work inspires!
I'm just grouchy I guess. :) I love this place!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back